Bringing a chat box

Would you want to have a chat box on MalwareTips?

• Yes, of course!

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • No, I don't like it.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Edward ST

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jan 16, 2013
Hello, MT! I want to give a suggestion of improving this forum - bringing a chat box.
This may be an useful idea because we can talk more about security and other things such like this, in live mode.
What do you say about this?

Reactions: MrExplorer

Edward ST

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jan 16, 2013
I do not think that a chat box could have a big impact. I mean, they canuse XAT or Chatango or any "softy" like this. :)

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
We had a chat box before on our previous forum but we had no way to moderate it. It was basically only used to post spam.
Probably the main reason Jack did not add it to our new forum.

Enjoy!! :D

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
@Littlebits - These forums could be upgraded to IPBboard and then we could have a chat that can be moderated (Kick, ban, ect)

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Who said that it had to be paid :oops:
Jack has already paid for Xenforo and the Staff have spent a lot of time working out problems and getting familiar with the changes , do you want to be the one to ask Jack to loose his money and the Members to go through all of this again just for a chat box that was basically only used to spam the forums?

Thanks. :D

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
Jack has already paid for Xenforo and the Staff have spent a lot of time working out problems and getting familiar with the changes , do you want to be the one to ask Jack to loose his money and the Members to go through all of this again just for a chat box that was basically only used to spam the forums?

Thanks. :D
I don't really want a chatbox, but I think it would be nice to have one without spam.

Sorry, it's illegal.
I didn't know that, thanks for informing me though :D

D

Deleted member 178

shoutbox = spam issues = i dont have time to kick the endless spammers, i have better things to do

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Xenforo is a much better platform shoutbox or no shoutbox. I don't see how changing forum platforms for a shoutbox is even a viable option,since Xenforo has a shoutbox. Besides the spammer issues there also comes other problems.

Capsule

Jun 3, 2014
I want this.
For the moderation just need to get chat moderator, or use actually moderator.
I know a 400k community with a chat and they have moderator and some member for say "No spamming"...

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I want this.
For the moderation just need to get chat moderator, or use actually moderator.
I know a 400k community with a chat and they have moderator and some member for say "No spamming"...
It is a nice thing to have if it isn't abused but more often than not this is not the case.We have enough staff members to moderate it but even with a designated chatbox moderator(isn't going to be on 24/7)there still will be issues.Moderating the forums has been taxing the staff lately so I would say it isn't on the top of the priority list.

Reactions: Ink and Littlebits

Edward ST

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jan 16, 2013
We could have xat. It's the most used chat box.
So, will we have a chat box? :)

EDIT:
I have created an XAT group chat here:
http://xat.com/malwaretips_mt.
Password is: MalwareTips (if needed)
I wanted to put the ”unofficial” term but it's reserved in XAT. If anything is bad, report to me I will delete the chat group.
Have fun! :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.