Solved Broadcom 802.11n driver problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikos

Thread author
Jul 19, 2012
2 driver issues:

a) One is my broadcom 802.11n wireless network adaptor (its a generic driver Win8 installed and its not utilizing the hardware correctly)

Should i visit my laptop's manufacturer site
or
device's manufacturer site (broadcom.com) ?
What will work better?

b) What about the other driver that is listed in 8's Device Management list? It says "unknow device". How am i supposed to find a driver for a device if the device its "uknown" to windows?

Nikos

Thread author
Jul 19, 2012
About (a):

We are talking about a Lenovo Z580
How am i gonna found out if:

i) brodacom 802.11n device is an add on card
ii) broadcom 802.11n device is built-in to the motherboard
iii) broadcom 802.11n device's exact model number

Upvote 0
P

Plexx

Nikos said:
About (a):

We are talking about a Lenovo Z580
How am i gonna found out if:

i) brodacom 802.11n device is an add on card
ii) broadcom 802.11n device is built-in to the motherboard
iii) broadcom 802.11n device's exact model number

Go to Lenovo site and look for the drivers for your model and W8 drivers (bearing in mind most are W7...)

Download them and install them. If they have been installed already, it should alert you.

When I got my laptops, there was an invoice with all the components. Surely you should have it. If not Check with Lenovo support.

On a side note and answer to your other question: always check Laptop manufacturer site and not component manufacturer site. An example; Intel Graphics has quite some drivers updated but not all work with a Dell XPS 17 for example.

Upvote 0

Nikos

Thread author
Jul 19, 2012
It has 2 different device drivers for Z580 along with Windows8.

What if it had 5 available?

I just need a way to pick the right one WITHOUT downloading/installing ALL of them :)

Upvote 0
P

Plexx

Nikos said:
It has 2 different device drivers for Z580 along with Windows8.

What if it had 5 available?

I just need a way to pick the right one WITHOUT downloading/installing ALL of them :)

what is the difference between the 2 drivers? have you read the description? have you tried contacting Lenovo support? There is a reason why these companies offer support.

the right way without downloading/installing all of them is:

A) Check if you have the full list of components that usually is given when you purchase your laptop - usually its the actual invoice.

B) Contact Lenovo and provide your computer ID or Purchase ID. They have a database and can give you the exact components and guide you through.

C) Read description of both and if still unclear just ask Support.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.