Solved Browser options for privacy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lad With a Dad

Thread author
Oct 8, 2023
I've been using Firefox as I was told it's a good option, but lately it's become more sluggish compared to others and then falls behind when it comes to watching live streams etc. What other options are there for browsers that provide somewhat similar or more privacy than Firefox, but doesn't take up as many resources or sacrifice the speed?

Solution
Coming from a Mac background, if you are using OS X/iOS, Safari is now a decent option.

Having said that, I use hardened Firefox with Linux Mint on my laptop because I need the MetaMask extension, which may(extensions/add-ons) be something to consider.

Either way, I suggest to set your default search engine to DuckDuckGo for a bit more privacy.

Welcome, by the way.
A bit late to this, but thanks for the welcome, and I've ended up using brave for now. I had used it in the past previously and stopped because it caused issues for certain websites, but I've had no issues yet. Fingers crossed and thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Lad With a Dad

Thread author
Oct 8, 2023
Brave is an alternative to Firefox, just like @Arequire mentioned. It comes with quite decent privacy out of the box. It might not be as privacy-respecting as a modified Firefox, but it's slightly better than standard/non-modified Firefox.
May I ask what exactly do you modify on Firefox? Don't think I ever fully went over settings etc. I could possibly just disable some extensions to see if that helps with the delay and resource hogging.

Reactions: ZeroStrawberries
Upvote 0

NewbyUser

Level 2
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2021

Upvote 0

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
Coming from a Mac background, if you are using OS X/iOS, Safari is now a decent option.

Having said that, I use hardened Firefox with Linux Mint on my laptop because I need the MetaMask extension, which may(extensions/add-ons) be something to consider.

Either way, I suggest to set your default search engine to DuckDuckGo for a bit more privacy.

Welcome, by the way.

Upvote 0
Mar 7, 2020
May I ask what exactly do you modify on Firefox? Don't think I ever fully went over settings etc. I could possibly just disable some extensions to see if that helps with the delay and resource hogging.
Well, Firefox has "hidden" settings in the about:config. Some of those can be changed to improve privacy, but they could have some drawbacks, like how one setting could make some images not load and such. Before I (temporarily, at least) switched to Brave, I followed the recommendations from Mental Outlaw
Don't think it really improves performance though, it's mostly privacy-related settings.
If you follow the steps from his video, you shouldn't have to manually change things in about:config, although you pretty much have to redo most things(logging in, reinstalling extensions, and such, since you're switching profiles). If something strange happens, you might have to jump into about:config and experiment a little.
Disabling some extensions could speed up Firefox, but it might only result in a miniscule difference in performance, unless one or more extensions drag down the performance.

If you were to follow the steps in the video, you could essentially ignore what he does when installing the profile(unless you're using Linux), and instead follow the written instructions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Firefox is much slower than brave
Firefox also breaks too many sites with strict tracking settings
Brave shields are much better than ublock origin
Brave has script blocker, whitelisting your sites you visit is the way to go

Upvote 0
Mar 7, 2020
Firefox is much slower than brave
Firefox also breaks too many sites with strict tracking settings
Brave shields are much better than ublock origin
Brave has script blocker, whitelisting your sites you visit is the way to go
Most developers focus on Chrome/Chromium, and not every developer bothers testing with Firefox/Safari, so some websites might not work perfectly on non-chromium browsers.
Doesn't Brave shiels rely on Ublock Origin filters though? It might have some additional things as well, not sure.

Upvote 0

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Most developers focus on Chrome/Chromium, and not every developer bothers testing with Firefox/Safari, so some websites might not work perfectly on non-chromium browsers.
Doesn't Brave shiels rely on Ublock Origin filters though? It might have some additional things as well, not sure.
I dont know how the shields are developed but you can add filters there, by default there is easylist cookies + languange filter enabled

With ublock origin you nowadays get youtube/ twitch ads , this doesnt happen with brave

Upvote 0
Mar 7, 2020
I dont know how the shields are developed but you can add filters there, by default there is easylist cookies + languange filter enabled

With ublock origin you nowadays get youtube/ twitch ads , this doesnt happen with brave
I did notice Twitch ads with Ublock Origin, but not YouTube ads. Could just be me though. Haven't watched any Twitch streams since I switched to Brave, so can't say if it's better or not.

Upvote 0

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
YouTube ads
Google is running currently their ad campaing in youtube, some people tend to get it but i havent gotten myself. Adguard desktop/extension blocks youtube ads though

About the brave shields
1696848993839.png

1696849011900.png

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I've been using Firefox as I was told it's a good option, but lately it's become more sluggish compared to others and then falls behind when it comes to watching live streams etc. What other options are there for browsers that provide somewhat similar or more privacy than Firefox, but doesn't take up as many resources or sacrifice the speed?
Are you strictly after a privacy browser, or an all-in-one browser with privacy-features?

In no order, here are 2 privacy browsers:
  • Brave* with advanced ad-blocking and tracker protection
  • DuckDuckGo browser (beta) with tracker protection, light ad-blocking and integrated Bitwarden support. It lacks extension support for advanced content-blocking.

If you search for "best privacy browsers 2023", the most recommended browsers in the lists are nonsense (ie. Chrome, Edge, Opera, Vivaldi etc.)

I found this article which represents a balanced verdict about privacy browsers:

*Disclaimer: I use Brave browser across all my mobile and desktop devices.

Upvote 0

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
Computer Active, a magazine, made a comparison of browser privacy features: 1 Brave, 2 Tor (no built-in ad blocker that works), 3 DuckDuckGo (no secure DNS option, malware protection or anonymized network routing). I use Librewolf which has a special privacy version when I need it. Most of the time, I still use Edge and Chrome with NextDNS and uBlock Origin.

Reactions: MuzzMelbourne
Upvote 0

Lad With a Dad

Thread author
Oct 8, 2023

Welcome, by the way.
A bit late to this, but thanks for the welcome, and I've ended up using brave for now. I had used it in the past previously and stopped because it caused issues for certain websites, but I've had no issues yet. Fingers crossed and thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Reactions: MuzzMelbourne
Upvote 0
Solution
F

ForgottenSeer 103564

Privacy, what a double edged sword. Companies that promise me privacy from everything else on the internet but do not charge a fee concern me. What are they getting out fo it, as no companies are doing this for free, how can they? It is well known collection of data by companies of products being sold to 3rd party after of promises of privacy is not far fetched now days. We can read up on software and companies but who is to say what we are able to obtain in research is actual. At the end of the day you place yourself in the hands of who knows what, hoping they are kind enough not to use you as their product.

This is why i stick with companies that are at least open about what they do and collect and how they make their living.

Upvote 1
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.