Not open for further replies.

Svoll

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Was reading some reviews about browsers and etc, and came across many sites that documented browser speed and etc? Any weight to those benchmarks or tests?

Did a few test on my own between FF and PM and tho FF scored higher, I find PM overall more responsive for everyday use. Loading Youtube, Twitch, etc...

FF on HTML 5 scored : 5354, yet it loads up videos slower

PM on HTML 5 scored : 5041, and watching my favorite streamers loads almost twice as fast as FF

tried another site, but FF kept crashing so unable to compare the results.

Are those browser speed test worth any salt?

Attachments

• fftestfuturemarks.png
    fftestfuturemarks.png
    57.8 KB · Views: 409
  • pmfutruemarks.png
    pmfutruemarks.png
    48 KB · Views: 384
  • pmsb.png
    pmsb.png
    31.6 KB · Views: 442

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
@Svoll personally all this browser tests i just read them to get a general opinion.
You are right when you are saying that a test said this but in my system i see other things.

If i want to use a browser i test it for a while in my system to see how it performs.
I don't do these tests with the browser.
I open pages that i know that are heavy and i am observing CPU and RAM usage.

What is my advantage when i want to see if a browser is fast and stable?
Very simple 8 years old laptop:D. Old system so browser needs to be good to run smoothly with no issues.
But all this is temporary because companies always improve the browsers.
So while now for example Chrome is the best regarding performance, the next version of FF maybe will be so good that it will surpass Chrome, who knows.

In the end you have to test the browser on your system and decide which is best for you.

p.s: Edge has improved a lot lately, in most sites i visit it loads almost as fast as Cent;)

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
There is one rule to this. When your system & external configuration is exactly identical to the one that the reviewer has tested, then you are bound to get nearly the same results.

These include: Browser extensions, Internet connection, Network throttle, Time of the day, Installed applications (security apps), System configuration (RAM, Processor, Disk space etc)and so on.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
loading time is just 1 of the criteria. The more important thing is the browser functionality and smoothness when we perform some tasks. For example, Edge has a very good page loading time but them we drag and drop/split the screen or open many new tabs, edge is very very laggy, similar to firefox. In this one, firefox x64 browsers (cyberfox, waterfox) do far more smoother but no one can beat chrome x64 :D

Svoll

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Thanks All, I was just curious of all these test and benchmarks, I agree with everyone, its all a matter of how it performs for your specific needs and or system. I take all reviews now with a grain of salt, saves me some subscription fee going forward.

I enjoy reading battle of this vs that, and I often wonder to myself, what is the author saying, is what he said true, and I perform my own hypothesis and test, must say what a cool job it is to write articles and give reviews and get paid for it.

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
If FF will improve e10 then it would be a good competitor for Chrome.
But let's not forget that the are other Chromium browsers that are as good as Chrome.
I am using Cent but there is also Slimjet, Vivaldi and others that are pretty good nad compete with Chrome.
I am just hopping for Mozilla to take the next step in performance so i can enjoy the smoothness of FF and Mozilla based browsers;)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Honestly its all about the engine implementation of the browser.

One of the reason why Chrome and other Chrome-based browser manage to have identical results is because of how developers produced with the help of engine; aside on specifications found to the system.

You can see that it runs smoothly even in some lower-end computers compare to Firefox.

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
Keep in mind that the futuremark peacekeeper test is not longer developed and updated. In the future, the results it gives should be taken with a grain of salt. Also another test, the HTML5test.com was not being updated for quite a while, but that project restarted not long ago and is working again as it should.

Today browsers are really close to each other. It also really depends on the system specs you have and extra luggage like extensions, so I wouldn't stare too much at those numbers. If you use the browser, you see the difference if the one browser is a second faster than the other, but not if it's a millisecond. And also with the constant updates of the popular browsers, those numbers can completely change in order at any time.
For me personally the whole performance and feel of a browser is much more important than the thing "that it scored 10 points better than other one". For example, I was really tired of the constantly crashing of firefox for nothing and the bug that took them 25 versions (!) of needing to wait some seconds before a search that was entered in the adress bar appeared. Also like others said, Chromium feels much more smooth than the very old Gecko engine from Mozilla.
After all, it depends on personal preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.