Question Browser Updates and More Frequent Security Patches - Switch back to Chrome?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Hello All,

I came across this interesting article today concerning Google's intent to update Chrome weekly from now on to help thwart vulnerabilities:

Google to fight hackers with weekly Chrome security updates

Since they intend to do this going forward, I wonder if the other secure browsers based on Chromium like Brave or Edge will follow suit. It sounds like a good idea in theory, and of course if one switches to Chrome there are privacy issues but I wonder if Brave will be able to keep up or should one switch back?

Thoughts.

Currently, I am still using Brave, Firefox, and Edge.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
As Firefox is not Chromium-based, you can safely ignore what Google is doing here. For Brave, Edge, Opera and every other Chromium-spinoff, you will have to wait and see.

Many people ignore security updates or post-pone them for later, it won’t be different for Chrome’s weekly patches.

Additional context from The Verge:
Previously, patch gaps were around 35 days long for Chrome versions older than 77 and were reduced to about 15 days with the implementation of a biweekly patch cycle. Now, the new weekly updates address this gap.

Apple has similarly adjusted its approach recently, adding rapid security updates that can roll out between major iOS and macOS releases to keep up with increasing security threats.

However, this does mean that users will see more updates in general. Google also mentioned a new update notification experience that adds an update status message inside the green banner on the top right of the Chrome window. (Previously it just said “update.”) Users can click it and select “relaunch to update,” and it kindly states that your tabs will reopen — so no worries! It’s currently in testing for 1 percent of users on the stable channel.
1691607051231.png

Users will find ways to disable this “annoying” prompt.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.