Can I get hacked through my IP Address?

gbpackerfan

Thread author
Jun 14, 2011
Some guys on a forum (who knew my IP cause they were the mods of the forum) threatened me that they were going to hack me through my IP Address once I was banned from the forum (I don't know why, but they really hated me!)! Is it possible to do so, and is there any way to prevent from getting hacked?

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
Empty threats.
Most if not all routers today come with very competent firewalls built-in, and all software firewalls deny all incoming traffic by default. If you are behind a router and have a software firewall (Windows Firewall is good enough for that purpose) they can't get to you through your IP.

They would have to install a trojan on your pc to be able to gain access.

Dejan

Mar 3, 2011
Yeah, it's impossible as far as I know to hijack someone's PC by just knowing the IP address, like iPanik said, some software would have to be installed first.

acuariano

May 16, 2011
then when i use to have a gmail account it displayed an ip
and gmail was hacked recently.[6,7 months ago]

D

Deleted member 178

yes agree too, just a stupid guy who want to scary you, long long time ago, a guy tried to do the same things to me, i installed an "honey pot" and let him play alone ^^

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Have to agree with iPanik and endejan.
You can't get "hacked" through your IP, however in theory someone can scan your IP with a port scanner such as NMap, find open ports and run known exploits against them. (very unlikely to ever happen)
BTW this is my IP : 79.117.8.249 , if anyone wants to 'hack me' :lolz:

D

Deleted member 178

LOL Jack, i will do it right away like Trinity in matrix 2 with the awesome Netcat (teasing)

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
aaronpackers said:
oh, whew! Got really scared!

Being scared never helped anyone...taking the necessary steps in order to prevent any kind of attacks is much more reasonable...So if you have the time you should start a thread in our " Security Configuration Wizard".

G

Guest28

I have been a member of security forums for almost 6 years nothing has ever happend to me and trust me i'v met some pretty messed up mods. But most mods are great :) I dont think you should worry.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Actually they don't have a skill to hack your IP Address nor a software to put the IP Address and hack with a single click.

Other case if a network shared which can received a worm like Conficker but no longer in hacking IP address.

I

illumination

Even if they did have the necessary skills to attempt such a feat, having your system secure would defeat their intentions.
Following Jacks suggestion of listing your security configuration in the "Security Configuration Wizard" in this forum, will allow others to assess your security, and show you how to tighten the current security you already have.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.