Can you encrypt on a cloud drive and still open the files directly on the cloud drive ?

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
You encrypt files before uploading then they are encrypted in the cloud when you have uploaded file. File stays encrypted on cloud hosting, don't think you can decrypt in cloud. You have to download the file from the cloud and decrypt it on your desktop to have original file. Someone can prove me wrong; I'd be happy to be wrong.

Last edited:

n8chavez

Level 17
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
There are a few cloud storages services that can decrypt internally. For example, mega.nz decrypts your files every time you login to the webgui. Decryption takes place automatically. If you have a lot of data, this can take a minute or two. You'll also notice your CPU spikijng during this process. Files are then re-encrypted on logout. I've used mega for a long time.

2023-01-13_00h35_00.png

ng4ever

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
There are a few cloud storages services that can decrypt internally. For example, mega.nz decrypts your files every time you login to the webgui. Decryption takes place automatically. If you have a lot of data, this can take a minute or two. You'll also notice your CPU spikijng during this process. Files are then re-encrypted on logout. I've used mega for a long time.

View attachment 272018

Can I use my own key ?

quentisa

Level 1
Jan 6, 2023
It depends on the cloud drive and the encryption method used. If you encrypt the files on a cloud drive using client-side encryption, you will still be able to access the encrypted files directly on the cloud drive. In this case, the encryption is applied on your device, before the files are uploaded to the cloud drive. When you access the files on the cloud drive, you will need to decrypt them on your device before you can view or edit them.
If you use server-side encryption offered by the cloud drive provider, you will not be able to access the encrypted files directly on the cloud drive, as the encryption is applied on the server and you do not have the encryption keys. In this case, you will need to download the encrypted files to your device, decrypt them, and then access them.

Reactions: dinosaur07

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.