Technology Canada demands 5% of revenue from Netflix, Spotify, and other streamers

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
You can't fight City Hall
Canada has ordered large online streaming services to pay 5 percent of their Canadian revenue to the government in a program expected to raise $200 million per year to support local news and other home-grown content. The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission announced its decision yesterday after a public comment period.

"Based on the public record, the CRTC is requiring online streaming services to contribute 5 percent of their Canadian revenues to support the Canadian broadcasting system. These obligations will start in the 2024–2025 broadcast year and will provide an estimated $200 million per year in new funding," the regulator said.

The fees apply to both video and music streaming services. The CRTC imposed the rules despite opposition from Amazon, Apple, Disney, Google, Netflix, Paramount, and Spotify.

The new fees are scheduled to take effect in September and apply to online streaming services that make at least $25 million a year in Canada. The regulations exclude revenue from audiobooks, podcasts, video game services, and user-generated content. The exclusion of revenue from user-generated content is a win for Google's YouTube.

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Canada will probably come up with something to counter that move, or at least I hope so.

wat0114

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2021
We need to defund the CBC and get rid of the Liberal government. The sooner the better.

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
We need to defund the CBC and get rid of the Liberal government. The sooner the better.
Not sure why anyone would want to defund the CBC unless you prefer getting your news from online conspiracy theory garbage sites. Their one of the few left where you can get an honest news cast. However all I watch on it is the news and NHL.

wat0114

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2021
Not sure why anyone would want to defund the CBC unless you prefer getting your news from online conspiracy theory garbage sites. Their one of the few left where you can get an honest news cast. However all I watch on it is the news and NHL.

This year they received 1.4 billion in taxpayer funding, while 1143 CBC staffers received nearly 15 million in bonuses in 2023 alone, which equates to about 13,000 per staff member. Handsome bonuses were paid out despite layoff announcements. Currently there are 1450 staffers taking home 6 figure salaries. The number of staffers taking a 6 figure salary annually is a 231% increase since the Trudeau government took power in 2015.

I do get much of my news from the CBC and I also like some of the streaming content on Gem. That said, they tip-toe around federal government issues, careful not to anger them lest they receive less funding, and the dollar figures for salaries and bonuses can't be justified from a taxpayer-funded news source. There are other good, reputable sources of online news such as the globe and mail, AP and local content where I live.

wat0114

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2021
I work for a big company that operates that way, except it's many millions in bonuses paid to some VP's and above :D

Reactions: Digmor Crusher

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.