Cannot get Windows Firewall to run

birdman

Thread author
Sep 19, 2013
I'm trying to help a friend with his PC. He had some malware on it but I've used tools available through your web site and I believe the malware has been removed. The malware had turned off and removed the Windows update service, the BITS service and services these depend on. I've managed to restore these and I believe they are functioning normally. Windows update runs and I am able to install updates. The only remaining issue is an inability to get the Windows firewall running. The service is in the list of services and the services it depends on are there and running but any attempt to start the firewall returns an error 5.
I've run sfc /scannow several times and it reports that it was unable to fix some problems. I've attached a filtered version of the CBS.log file which shows the problem entries. I'm hoping to find out which of these problem files I need to fix and how to do it.

Thanks.

Attachments

• sfcdetails_filtered.txt
    10.4 KB · Views: 541

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
There are a number of things that can be tried, but please attempt this first:

Windows Repair 1.9.18

Please let us know how it went.

M

birdman

Thread author
Sep 19, 2013
I had downloaded and run the Repair Windows Firewall portion of this tool yesterday. It ran OK but didn't fix the problem. I installed the entire suite of tools and this seems to have resolved the problem completely. Thanks for your quick response and help.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.