Troubleshoot Cannot open doc or docx files with Windows Explorer / Word 2007

Timmy71

Thread author
Feb 1, 2015
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
If I try to open a doc or docx file in Windows Explorer, Windows Word 2007 opens but the file does not open.
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
There are several solutions to this problem described in the Internet, but not one solved my problem. So, I have first to open Word 2007 and to search for my file and open it.
Would be great, if somebody could advise about the real solution.
If I try to open a doc or docx file in Windows Explorer, Windows Word 2007 opens but the file does not open.
There are several solutions to this problem described in the Internet, but not one solved my problem. So, I have first to open Word 2007 and to search for my file and open it.

Would be great, if somebody could advise about the real solution.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Hello and Welcome.
  1. If you open the Control Panel > Default Programs. You should be able to associate .doc and .docx to be opened with Word 2007.
  2. Alternately, if you have the Word 2007 shortcut on the desktop, you can drag and drop .doc and .docx files on top of it.
  3. If you right-click the .doc and .docx files, look for the Open With option and choose Word 2007 as the default.
Have any of these solutions helped?

Upvote 0

Timmy71

Thread author
Feb 1, 2015
Hello and Welcome.
  1. If you open the Control Panel > Default Programs. You should be able to associate .doc and .docx to be opened with Word 2007.
  2. Alternately, if you have the Word 2007 shortcut on the desktop, you can drag and drop .doc and .docx files on top of it.
  3. If you right-click the .doc and .docx files, look for the Open With option and choose Word 2007 as the default.
Have any of these solutions helped?

Hello Huracan,

Thanks! But none of the three options was succesfull.

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Have you tried a performing a Repair/Change Installation via the Control Panel for Office 2007?

Upvote 0

Timmy71

Thread author
Feb 1, 2015
Did you consider to reinstall all over again for Microsoft Office?

This causes incorrect file association to try for checking the solution posted by Microsoft if you haven't made it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2464297/en-us
Also, not succesfull.
I had both Office Basic 2007 and Office Home and Student 2007 on my pc. Have deleted Office Home and tried to repair
Office Basic. Repair could not be executed resp. finished.

Upvote 0

Timmy71

Thread author
Feb 1, 2015
http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-26954-can-t-open-my-2007-document

One solution there is to have an idea in registry, try to track them on similar locations posted in that link (docx) even though excel extension was mentioned. ;)

Many thanks for all the support, but unfortunately nothing solved my problem.
Since I am an user only, it is somewhat difficult for me to follow the instructions sometimes.
However, in my system I cannot open word with the "/regserv" command. This command is not found obviously.

Meanwhile I installed the following free and clean/safe programm: Q-Dir.
This programm is much more user-friendly than Windows Explorer and works for me up till now.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.