Advice Request Cannot run Adwcleaner v5.029

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011
I just tried to download and run Adwcleaner v5.029, but as I try to install Adwcleaner, Windows Smartscreen pops up. Adguard premium pops up and my Zemana premium pops up (blocks a dangerous program), all saying that this is is a dodgy program.
I tried with multiple sites and I get the same result.

Has anyone experienced the same thing?

Last edited:
Reactions: DracusNarcrym

SloppyMcFloppy

Level 13
Verified
Sep 12, 2015
Nope, mine is running fine. Avast and MBAM didn't give any false positive, but smartscreen fitler alert it, but i run it anyway because i know it's safe. Also, where do you download AdwCleaner? Are you sure you download AdwCleaner from this author site. AdwCleaner

Viking

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011
Nope, mine is running fine. Avast and MBAM didn't give any false positive, but smartscreen fitler alert it, but i run it anyway because i know it's safe. Also, where do you download AdwCleaner? Are you sure you download AdwCleaner from this author site. AdwCleaner

Yes, i downloaded it from the authors site, also from Bleeping Computer, Filehippo, MajorGreeks and Softpedia.
As I attempt to run it, Zemana premium deletes it. Looks like a false positive both from Zemana & Adguard.

Viking

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011
Maybe, if you tell/post to ilda15 from Zemana, we can get this false positive taken care of!

I just wrote to @iIda15 about the false positive!

Reactions: Moose and frogboy

SloppyMcFloppy

Level 13
Verified
Sep 12, 2015
Maybe, if you tell/post to ilda15 from Zemana, we can get this false positive taken care of!

Well, maybe you should add AdwCleaner to the exclusion list, because if they are going to whitelist is probably going to be this version, but not for a future version of AdwCleaner.

iIda15

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Aug 10, 2015

-Please do send the scan report as we are unable to reproduce the issue.

iIda15

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Aug 10, 2015
Should you guys have any type of issues, please do send an e-mail to our support team: support@zemana.com
Attach the screenshots, what ZAM version blocked what and so on, this is just easier on us to solve the problem quickly.

Thank you all for bringing this matter to our attention. Seems like everything is working perfectly fine now, from what I have heard. If not please feel free to PM me as well. What ever issues you might have, you are more than welcome to PM me :=)

Best regards,

Ida

iIda15

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Aug 10, 2015
We can white list the last version but in order to white list for future version of AdwCleaner, the developers must sign it with a valid digital certificate. Also this is the reason you get pop-ups with Windows smartscreen.

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
Salutations/Greeting!:)

Did anyone send the developers an E-mail? To request valid digital certificate for AdwCleaner, now and in the future?
So we here at malwaretips.com will not have a problem with AdwCleaner. Updating to the most current version.

Kind regards!!!

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Yes. Windows Smartscreen popped up saying that it is unsafe. Of course, Windows Smartscreen says a lot of things are unsafe...
That's due to Smartscreen's Application Reputation algorithm.
  • a hash of the downloaded file
  • the digital certificate used to sign the file (if signed)
Source: SmartScreen® Application Reputation – Building Reputation | IEBlog

It will also defend you against socially-engineered downloads of malicious software using a cloud based app reputation service that is continuously evaluating the billions of new apps that are published to the internet every year for malicious behavior.

Source: Security in Windows 10

This is one reason (of many) why Smartscreen may flag down new software releases.

At OP, check you have downloaded AdwCleaner from a reputable source or mirror. Delete the current file, and download a new copy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.