Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
The NYC Department of Education has banned the use of ChatGPT by students and teachers in New York City schools as there are serious concerns about its use hampering learning and leading to misinformation.

The ban was first reported by Chalkbeat, which confirmed the New York City Department of Education imposed it. The organization manages the largest school district in the U.S., so others might follow with similar decisions.

ChatGPT is a next-gen chatbot optimized for dialogue-format user interactions, released by OpenAI in November 2022. The chatbot has been very disruptive for several disciplines, including programming and essay writing.

Another field that AI-based chatbots like ChatGPT are expected to revolutionize is internet searching, as those tools can provide richer answers to search terms and allow users to find what they're looking for using natural language.

Microsoft is reportedly planning to integrate ChatGPT into Bing to give its search engine an edge over competitors like Google Search.

NYC Dept. of Education is worried about the information that ChatGPT may convey to students, specifically the safety and accuracy of its answers. Moreover, the organization fears young students will grow complacent and lack the necessary skills to evaluate information.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
The future is now, I kind of like ChapGPT. It's just going to get better and better. I think one day there will be a ChatGPT in every security job/workplace.

• Applause
Reactions: vtqhtr413

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017

Top AI conference bans use of ChatGPT and AI language tools to write academic papers​

In each case, there are different fears about the harmful effects of AI-generated text. One of the most common is that the output of these systems is simply unreliable. These AI tools are vast autocomplete systems, trained to predict which word follows the next in any given sentence. As such, they have no hard-coded database of “facts” to draw on — just the ability to write plausible-sounding statements. This means they have a tendency to present false information as truth since whether a given sentence sounds plausible does not guarantee its factuality.
The full article

marhendray

Level 1
Nov 20, 2021
I wonder why ChatGPT is getting so much attention from the masses compared to WolframAlpha which I think is more popular among academics/scientists and as far as I can see there hasn't been a similar block for WolframAlpha for pretty much the same reason.

WolframAlpha

Thales

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
Some influencers try to make a joke out of the chatbot, but it really just points to a strong and unfortunate lack of understanding

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.