Child Online Safety

TechHelper

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jul 21, 2014
My sister recently received her own laptop for Christmas and I'm already going to hook her up security-wise (antivirus, scheduled daily scans, etc.). But most importantly, I want her stay away from inappropriate websites and such. Does she need a filter + what is the best thing to put on her PC dealing with this? I'm the most tech-savvy in the house so I'm the go-to guy for security and I just want to keep my sister safe. Thanks:)

(sorry if this is the wrong thread)

Reactions: Azure

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
You could try Norton safe DNS server it blocks a lot of unsavoury web sites.

Reactions: TechHelper

TechHelper

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jul 21, 2014
You could try Norton safe DNS server it blocks a lot of unsavoury web sites.
I'll check into that.
with out knowing how old your sister is try looking at these

Opendns Family Shield free
https://www.opendns.com/home-internet-security/parental-controls/opendns-familyshield/

K9 Web Protection
http://www1.k9webprotection.com/

also maybe a Hosts File

HostsMan
http://www.abelhadigital.com/hostsman

:)

James
Elementary School and I'm trying OpenDNS now. Thanks guys! Greatly appreciated.

Reactions: frogboy
R

rocky

K9 Web Protection is good choice in my opinion. Has alot of choices so it is easy to set for custom use and the history of what it has blocked could be a plus.

D

Deleted member 21043

Like @Chromatinfish 123 suggested, I would go with Adguard. However, another idea would actually be going through certain sites and blocking them through use of the Hosts file. If you wish to know how to block certain websites using the Hosts file, follow the on-screen instructions I have written out for you:

METHOD 1: MANUALLY BLOCKING WEBSITES

On Windows there is a file called the "Hosts" file located in a folder, organized with all the other Windows files. Any URLs specified with the localhost IP address, will be blocked. When you encounter a website which is in the Hosts file, all you should get is a empty page. That's it. No alerts or warning... Just a empty page. This also helps prevent the user from discovering why the page is being blocked. For example, if there is a warning about a product blocking it, they could then continue to Google a way around this. However, by default a normal user with no experience to computers and this sort of stuff should be clueless to getting around this, hence there being no clue to why the site is blocked. Works great! You could also check if the file has been modified, once in a while.
  1. Tap the Windows Key + R at the same time.
  2. When the RUN dialog appears, paste the following without the "" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc"
  3. Open up the "Hosts" file in Notepad++ or any text editor.
  4. Starting from the bottom line available, you can start to blacklist sites (one site for each line) by 127.0.0.1 followed by the web address. For example, you could add:

Code:
127.0.0.1 ad.doubleclick.com

Ad.Doubleclick host advertisements. You may also have to add the other domains such as .be, .de for ad.doubeclick too as they host on other domains representing the country domain, too. However, you can replace that "ad.doubleclick" with another website. "inappropriate" websites you want blocked, basically. You can do this line by line. However, this method would mean finding the sites yourself.

METHOD 2: USING GOOGLE SAFESEARCH
Assuming you are using Google (she is using Google and not another search engine) you could also try a method AS WELL as other methods as this is not as good, but enabling a feature on Google called "SafeSearch". This will basically attempt to re-filter results, removing the explicit sites it can filter out from being displayed on a search. :)

To do this, follow the next spoiler.

1. Go to the following web address: www.google.com/preferences
  2. Once it's loaded there should be a check box "filter explicit results". Tick it.
  3. After this, there is a feature which allows Google to use a cookie to try to prevent someone from turning this off unless they are signed into the Google Account (profile) which enabled it. Therefore, make sure you're now signed into your Google Account. Then, tick the box. Then, next to the check box (or you may call it a "tick box"), hit the "Lock SafeSearch" link.
  4. After doing all of the above steps, to finish off, scroll down to the bottom of the preferences page and hit "Save". This will save your settings and maintain your configuration for SafeSearch.
Explicit/Sexual results should now not be listed in Google. You can do some tests yourself, it works well.

NOTE: If you use Bing or Yahoo! just say and I can give instructions for using their safe search on those search engines too. ;)

Thanks, hopefully you find the correct solution! ;)[/SPOILER]

Last edited by a moderator:

TechHelper

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jul 21, 2014
I nominate K9! No seriously thanks for all of your support! I've tested it and it gets my stamp of approval.;)

Like @Chromatinfish 123 suggested, I would go with Adguard. However, another idea would actually be going through certain sites and blocking them through use of the Hosts file. If you wish to know how to block certain websites using the Hosts file, follow the on-screen instructions I have written out for you:

METHOD 1: MANUALLY BLOCKING WEBSITES

On Windows there is a file called the "Hosts" file located in a folder, organized with all the other Windows files. Any URLs specified with the localhost IP address, will be blocked. When you encounter a website which is in the Hosts file, all you should get is a empty page. That's it. No alerts or warning... Just a empty page. This also helps prevent the user from discovering why the page is being blocked. For example, if there is a warning about a product blocking it, they could then continue to Google a way around this. However, by default a normal user with no experience to computers and this sort of stuff should be clueless to getting around this, hence there being no clue to why the site is blocked. Works great! You could also check if the file has been modified, once in a while.
  1. Tap the Windows Key + R at the same time.
  2. When the RUN dialog appears, paste the following without the "" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc"
  3. Open up the "Hosts" file in Notepad++ or any text editor.
  4. Starting from the bottom line available, you can start to blacklist sites (one site for each line) by 127.0.0.1 followed by the web address. For example, you could add:

Code:
127.0.0.1 ad.doubleclick.com

Ad.Doubleclick host advertisements. You may also have to add the other domains such as .be, .de for ad.doubeclick too as they host on other domains representing the country domain, too. However, you can replace that "ad.doubleclick" with another website. "inappropriate" websites you want blocked, basically. You can do this line by line. However, this method would mean finding the sites yourself.

METHOD 2: USING GOOGLE SAFESEARCH
Assuming you are using Google (she is using Google and not another search engine) you could also try a method AS WELL as other methods as this is not as good, but enabling a feature on Google called "SafeSearch". This will basically attempt to re-filter results, removing the explicit sites it can filter out from being displayed on a search. :)

To do this, follow the next spoiler.

1. Go to the following web address: www.google.com/preferences
  2. Once it's loaded there should be a check box "filter explicit results". Tick it.
  3. After this, there is a feature which allows Google to use a cookie to try to prevent someone from turning this off unless they are signed into the Google Account (profile) which enabled it. Therefore, make sure you're now signed into your Google Account. Then, tick the box. Then, next to the check box (or you may call it a "tick box"), hit the "Lock SafeSearch" link.
  4. After doing all of the above steps, to finish off, scroll down to the bottom of the preferences page and hit "Save". This will save your settings and maintain your configuration for SafeSearch.
Explicit/Sexual results should now not be listed in Google. You can do some tests yourself, it works well.

NOTE: If you use Bing or Yahoo! just say and I can give instructions for using their safe search on those search engines too. ;)
[/SPOILER

Thanks, hopefully you find the correct solution! ;)
I will do this (definitely with the search engines) and use Adguard since I already have the full version.

Last edited by a moderator:

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
I probably know what you're feeling. My family and I were recently trying to find a laptop for my little sister.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
If you are dealing for a suite like Kaspersky, there's a parental control feature to configure well to avoid any inappropriate websites besides of malware / viruses.

But picking K9 Web protection is a good choice and fully around web filter version. :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.