China Wants To Buy A Big Piece Of Facebook

Linuxfever

Thread author
Jan 11, 2011
China wants to buy a huge chunk of Facebook, a source at a fund that buys stock from former Facebook employees tells us.

This source learned of China's interest when it approached him to see if he could help put together a stake large enough "to matter."

Separately, a second source tells us there is a rumor going around Facebook that Citibank is at this very moment trying to acquire as much as $1.2 billion worth of Facebook stock on behalf of two sovereign wealth funds – China's and another from the Middle East. Another source from an investment bank that is very influential in Silicon Valley says he's also heard a rumor about Citibank's interest on behalf of China.

Representatives from Facebook and Citibank declined to comment on this story. We reached out to China's investment group, but haven't heard back.

Read more

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
If this is true, it's just in time for us all to move to Google+.

Doesn't most malware come from China, or am I talking about something completely different?

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
Stormgtr said:
Doesn't most malware come from China, or am I talking about something completely different?
Indeed, you can always trust China and Russia to provide good quality malware. :)

If this is true, i will have no problem leaving facebook as well.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
iPanik said:
Stormgtr said:
Indeed, you can always trust China and Russia to provide good quality malware. :)

If this is true, i will have no problem leaving facebook as well.
If we will have a China Facebook I'm pretty sure that the facebook users from North America and Europe will dump this social network as soon as the news will hit.
Facebook is at his highest point,this social platform can't grow anymore because it reached his maturity so economically speaking it would make a lot of sens for Mark to sell this Facebook. but I highly doubt it that he will ever sell it or that anyone will buy this social network, one of the reason could be the very high price.
What could happen in real life would be a investment from a group..even from China but not a buy out.
And also lets not forget that Facebook has now some serious competition from Google+ so investing in it wouldn't be the best choice, at least until the water will settle.

BTW If China will ever buy Facebook we should all expect a toolbar from Facebook.
What will have : Smiles , Search,Games,Advertise and of course a Facebook button :p :lolz:.
26597-download3k_toolbar_network___internet_browser_tools.jpeg

D

Deleted member 178

i think we must separate economic and security, China with their ever-growing economy actually buy shares or invest in more US and European company that you could imagine, using western banks and fund groups. At same time western countries massively invest in China too. This is a great move from China to trying to buy Facebook, and maybe resell it later for some benefit.

About security, it will not change thing so much, we all know that Fb is not "pure" about virus, information steling and other social engineering .

my opinion of that affair is this is another try from China government to "track and control" chinese citizen political behavior. Many chinese use FB just as social networks when others use it as a anti-gov political weapon. Owning FB may let them having easier access to the latest info (maybe IP adresses, Private messages and posts,etc...)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.