Advice Request Chrome Incompatible applications

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Cortex

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I'm frequently getting this message on Chrome start up (67.0, there are two Stardock applications listed but the one that concerns me in Kaspersky IS. It then offers to remove them. (eeeek) I've been in advanced in Chrome & you can't it seems stop this from happening. Anyone else had a similar problem> Paul

Reactions: oldschool

slash/

Level 6
Verified
Jun 24, 2018
Reinstall Chrome and see if the problem persists.
Optionally, delete Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome and AppData\Local\Google\Chrome after uninstalling and before reinstalling.
Also optionally, use CCleaner or similar to delete any Chrome registries leftover.
Don't forget to backup your bookmarks if they're not saved on the cloud.

Reactions: oldschool

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I'm frequently getting this message on Chrome start up (67.0, there are two Stardock applications listed but the one that concerns me in Kaspersky IS. It then offers to remove them. (eeeek) I've been in advanced in Chrome & you can't it seems stop this from happening. Anyone else had a similar problem> Paul
THis does not sound right. Chrome should not be telling you what programs are compatible.
Furthermore, Stardock and Kaspersky are surely compatible with Chrome. What isn't compatible with Chrome?
Chrome offers to remove programs for you??
This really sounds like malware behavior.

Cortex

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Sorry for delay, It's a new feature in Chrome it seems, at the bottom of Advanced Settings, 'Find and remove harmful software
Chrome can find harmful software on your computer and remove it'.
(I think Google should mind its own business) Removing Chrome in its entirety didn't work but a full uninstall & reinstall of KIS 2019 did. I'm pretty sure there is no malware on this PC & it seems OK now. As for my Stardock programs I've used them for many years - Thanks for the assistance again.

Reactions: Yellowing

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Sorry for delay, It's a new feature in Chrome it seems, at the bottom of Advanced Settings, 'Find and remove harmful software
Chrome can find harmful software on your computer and remove it'.
(I think Google should mind its own business) Removing Chrome in its entirety didn't work but a full uninstall & reinstall of KIS 2019 did. I'm pretty sure there is no malware on this PC & it seems OK now. As for my Stardock programs I've used them for many years - Thanks for the assistance again.
Thanks for that info, I forgot all about that setting.
Is this the software_reporter_tool that runs periodically, to the consternation of many privacy-minded individuals?

Cortex

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
From what I can see it's either different or an addition to that tool. As time goes by IMHO using a VPN is more and more a necessity?

Reactions: shmu26

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.