Chromium browser shows up on the Microsoft Store (Update: Removed)

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
If you've ever looked for web browsers in the Microsoft Store, you've probably come up short on finding anything at all. That's because according to Microsoft Store policy, any third-party browser needs to have the same rendering engine as its own Edge. But now, Edge runs on Chromium, which opens up the Store to a wide array of browsers.

One of those is Chromium itself, which has now appeared on the Store, as spotted by Aggiornamenti Lumia.

Chromium is an open source project that's managed by Google, but to be clear, this isn't being published by any big brand. It's published by a developer called Store Ports, who seemingly ran the browser through the Desktop App Converter and threw it up on the Store. The developer does have 10 other apps on the Store, some of which are also ports, and some aren't. One app is labeled as 'Universal (UWP) File Explorer', but the app description says that it's just a shortcut to the app that's hidden in Windows 10.

If you want to check out Chromium on the Microsoft Store, you can find it here. It's unclear how often the browser will be updated

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Someone did not want to use Microsoft Edge anymore, so they ported it.

From description:
Store Ports version 1.1.1.0, based off Chromium 78.0.3903.0
  • Re-packaged original Chromium 78.0.3903.0 into MSIX package, making available in the Store.
  • Works with Windows 10 in S-Mode

It may get removed.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
If this slip-up by the MS Store gatekeepers is an example it makes me wonder how much else there has similar security risks. I don't really use MS Store, the times when I've browsed it have revealed little of interest to me or softwares that I already have, I prefer to get things in time-honoured fashion - from the originators' sites.
What opinions of the MS Store do others here on MT have?

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

If this slip-up by the MS Store gatekeepers is an example it makes me wonder how much else there has similar security risks. I don't really use MS Store, the times when I've browsed it have revealed little of interest to me or softwares that I already have, I prefer to get things in time-honoured fashion - from the originators' sites.
What opinions of the MS Store do others here on MT have?

I like the Store and use some Apps from, e.g. Unigram (Telegram client but fully using AppContainer), Notepads (good looking Notepad/ Notepad++ replacement fully using AppContainer), Adobe Reader Touch (fully using AppContainer) fre:ac (CD ripper) and i also buy some PC & Xbox games and some movies.
It's very nice in my opinion but need more attention and improvements. Also AppContainer is a killer security feature which sadly only very few people know.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.