CIS plus Windows Firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcuser88

Level 1
Thread author
Sep 15, 2016
I noticed that, unlike other Internet security software, CIS does not "take over" Windows 7/8 Firewall upon installation. Is this correct?

If the above is correct, then the Inbound and Outbound rules of Windows Firewall would still be observed?

nclr11111

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Feb 25, 2011
You mean your Windows FW is still active??
I´m using Comodo Firewall and it deactivates Windows FW upon installing on Win7.

Reactions: Logethica

nclr11111

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Feb 25, 2011
Might be possible. But i´m not savvy enough to be sure it doesn´t mess up my comodo settings.....

Reactions: Logethica
Y

yigido

I noticed that, unlike other Internet security software, CIS does not "take over" Windows 7/8 Firewall upon installation. Is this correct?

If the above is correct, then the Inbound and Outbound rules of Windows Firewall would still be observed?
CIS installation disables my Windows Firewall on Windows 10.. and CIS always does that on my side.
Strange! Maybe a bug or fault.. lests read it

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
It happened to me more than once, that comodo failed to turn off windows firewall.
I went and turned it off manually. I don't think it is recommended or even safe to run two firewalls.

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
It happened to me more than once, that comodo failed to turn off windows firewall.
I went and turned it off manually. I don't think it is recommended or even safe to run two firewalls.

It's definitely not recommended - you have two filter drivers intercepting the network traffic, who has priority, whose rules are going to be acted upon? A disaster waiting to happen. Just don't do it!

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
It is strange, guys can you please create a bug report for this?
Bug Reports - CIS
I already complained about it on comodo forum long ago. to add insult to injury, when this happened to me one time, I asked the geekbuddy support built in to some versions of comodo, I asked him what's up with this, and he told me it's fine to run both firewalls...

Y

yigido

I already complained about it on comodo forum long ago. to add insult to injury, when this happened to me one time, I asked the geekbuddy support built in to some versions of comodo, I asked him what's up with this, and he told me it's fine to run both firewalls...
Every system works different. My CIS installation disables Windows Firewall for every install. I never see that problem.
Maybe your system have specific things to investigate. You diagnostics can help Comodo to reproduce the issue.
This is why I asked to create bug report. Asking in a post or a geekbuddy won't help much to devs.
Comodo Forum place is volunteered help place for Comodo users.

L

Lucent Warrior

Comodo has always had issues in one form or another with the action center and its products being recognized through out almost every version i have seen and tested "and this goes back some time in the days of just CFW", this is not to dis the product, but an accurate statement.

Y

yigido

Comodo has always had issues in one form or another with the action center and its products being recognized through out almost every version i have seen and tested "and this goes back some time in the days of just CFW", this is not to dis the product, but an accurate statement.
How can we fix those without bug reports :)
If you fight you sometimes lose, if you do not fight you always lose. ;)

Y

yigido

Bug reports get filed, but not always answered there, this is something you should well know. At least this was the case, have not tested CIS for some time.
I have contacts at the Comodo, I will pass reports to them with determined questions. They have to fix all and polish the CIS.
Sooner or later it will be best security suite. Noone can deny this ;)

L

Lucent Warrior

Sooner or later it will be best security suite.
Their current track record does not accurately reflect this statement, not to mention i do not put much stock in "Suites" any more, as signatures just do not cut it, and most vendors are now filling their products with so much bloat,over accommodating users with mainly useless features most will not use. There are better solutions available, such as Anti Executable applications. But before we derail this topic any further, why not help the OP file a report to the forums.

Y

yigido

Their current track record does not accurately reflect this statement, not to mention i do not put much stock in "Suites" any more, as signatures just do not cut it, and most vendors are now filling their products with so much bloat,over accommodating users with mainly useless features most will not use. There are better solutions available, such as Anti Executable applications. But before we derail this topic any further, why not help the OP file a report to the forums.
Bundles are everywhere now but thanks Comodo can give the disabling those. You can disable what you do not need, you can enable what you need. You are right about signatures but Comodo has no good signatures too.
About anti-exe softwares. You can configure Comodo just like an anti-exe software. cruelsister showed it many times I remember.

pcuser88

Level 1
Thread author
Sep 15, 2016
After spending some hours experimenting, I can now answer my own questions.

WFW can be turned on/off in my Win7 SP1 system with the latest CIS installed. The Domain, Home/Private, and Public monitoring of WFW are all working. The Inbound and Outbound rules I set for WFW are also being observed, so far.

Some of you guys think this is a bug, but it's the best setup for me. I hope this "bug" won't go away in my system.

Why?

I had been an NIS user for many years, but I got tired of paying for it and not getting what I need, which is a backup function for its firewall rules. Many of us NIS users have been requesting it for a long time (check out the forums), but the company just wouldn't or couldn't produce it.

In my case, it's quite important for a FW to be able to restrict application access according to site/domain/IP with rules. Most FWs give you only two options: allow/block. I have been searching and testing FWs for sometime. So far, I have known only two FWs that fit my need: that of NIS (nope, leaving it) and WFW (well, what do you know!). All of the IS packages I tried disabled WFW but couldn't restrict application access according to site/domain/IP, until I came across CIS. Fortunately for me, this "bug" exists in my first installation, and it allows WFW to still function. Yeah, I have to re-enter all my NIS rules into WFW, and it doesn't allow me to save the settings, but hey, it's FREE.

[Addendum] About saving the WFW settings, I just found information on exporting/importing WFW rules through the Windows Registry. I haven't tested it, but it's one good way of saving critical WFW rules.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.