Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Has anyone succeeded in getting rid of all the news feeds and other unsolicited content in Chrome for Android?
Or is there a good alternative browser?
I am currently using Yandex, which is Chrome-like, and it doesn't push unwanted content, but I don't know if this is really the best choice in Android browsers.

EDIT: I discovered that on my device (Xiaomi Redmi Note 5A) I have an icon for Google, and another icon for Chrome.
Chrome is clean. It only shows my own bookmarks, and some removable standard bookmarks. The icon for Google force-feeds me news article. But I don't have to use that icon. So I am good. :)

Last edited:

lowdetection

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
All third party browsers, will not be able to use the sync API,

personally I found this quite solid, bromite/bromite

because:

• baked-in adblock engine with filters from EasyList, EasyPrivacy and others
  • remove click-tracking and AMP from search results
  • DNS-over-HTTPS support via Google/CloudFlare servers
  • allow playing videos in background
  • StartPage, DuckDuckGo and Qwant search engines
  • privacy enhancement patches from Inox patchset, Brave, ungoogled-chromium and Iridium projects
  • webRTC, canvas, audio and other anti-fingerprinting mitigations
  • all codecs included (proprietary, open H.264 etc.)
  • built with official speed optimizations
Else,

I tried also Kiwi browser, but it seems to use creator site too much, so no;

Else, a non chromium based browser particularly security solid, with "exceptions" is this:

Changelog and Downloads – Stoutner

since OP is about Chrome-Chromium, I will suggest trying Bromite as first solution, or Kiwi Browser a s a second solution with conditions, in the past there where many CAF chromium based browsers, but vast majority of them are not updated, and can be considered a security risk.

One p.s. addition, using pure chromium, may lead to video codecs not present, always check if video codecs support is included;
in both bromite and kiwi browser, they are included.

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.