Last updated
Sep 4, 2022
How it's used?
For sharing
Operating system
Windows 11
On-device encryption
Log-in security
    • Biometrics (Windows Hello PIN, TouchID, Face, Iris, Fingerprint)
Security updates
Check for updates and Notify
User Access Control
Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer
Smart App Control
Network firewall
Enabled
Real-time security
Avira Security
Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
About custom security
Nothing special.
Periodic malware scanners
Windows Defender
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
uBlock Origin, Tampermonkey, Privacy Badger, Mailvelope, Decentraleyes, AdGuard VPN (Selective mode - social media, news and Alphabet sites), Lastpass (Yubikeys enabled)
Secure DNS
NextDNS
Desktop VPN
Njalla
Password manager
Lastpass
Maintenance tools
Red feather duster
CCleaner
File and Photo backup
NordLocker
System recovery
Manual backup image monthly
Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Browsing to unknown / untrusted / shady sites
    • Working from home
    • Opening email attachments
    • Buying from online stores, entering banks card details
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Sharing and receiving files and torrents
    • Gaming
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
Computer specs
Gigabyte Aorus X570I, Ryzen 9 5900X, Innod3d GT1030, G.Skill 2x16GB 3600MHz, Sabrent Rocket 1TB NVME SSD + SanDisk 500GB SATA SSD
Notable changes
Swapped out Cylance Smart AV for Avira Security.
Testing Njalla VPN in my ASUS router with an ovpn connection.
So far super slow.
Testing CCleaner to keep drivers and apps up to date. (mainly because a recent update broke intel assistant)
Seems okay but not really impressed.
What I'm looking for?

Looking for medium feedback.

Cleo

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 25, 2020
Dusted off the ol' transcoder rig. No decent GPU right now. Looking for a VastArmor RX 6750 XT when prices stabilize.
The Ryzen transcodes at a similar pace to the other unit we have that had the rtx2080 when using ffmpeg.

Cleo

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 25, 2020
In Device recovery & backup, You should add a full image system backup solution, such as Macrium Reflect or AOEM BackUpper.

A nice config. Personally I would ditch Lastpass not because of security but for privacy concerns. Lastpass has the highest number of embedded trackers.

I would also replace NordLocker with the open-source Cryptomator.
Thanks for the ideas. I have tried a few password managers over the last year and in the end I went with the one that had the most compatibility with ease of use and value. LastPass was the least bad. I like AOMEI Backupper but backups right now are to USB (mostly homework etc). I'll get on to a more substantial solution when I have more to backup. There is nothing important on this computer and the games folders sync with the local NAS for each kid's account and that's just to save redownloading. I tried a couple of the standard "hardening" scripts but they don't work at all well when kids accounts are installed so I gave up.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
@harlan4096 is the one that changed your thread Tag from " At-Risk " to " Advanced Security " and the main reason was your AV protection, and nothing else. The rest of your configuration is already more then good enough, so I wouldn't worry for a second. Your choice of password manager and even the cloud backup solution, is very smart. Personal I extra liked to see you even use a VPN. (y)

Using a 3rd party backup solution is a tool to simply help yourself in a case of emergency, hardware or software error/issue. Windows own clunky recovery environment still ain't bulletproof even if improved. For a few folders or files as you said, sure you can always do that easy to the cloud, USB and a NAS, but a full system backup is what's easy to miss out on as it will save you huge amount of time and energy, instead of have to manually start all over. Less headache so to say and it's not a requirement for your Tag, but still a very good basic advice/tip. You could also use Windows own built-in backup solution for a full system image. Available also in Windows 11. It's just a bit harder to find nowadays as Microsoft had the less bright idea of hide it away and enforce users to click a bit too much. Nevermind it says " Windows 7 " as it might confuse ( same in Windows 11 ). It's simply Microsoft being lazy and not updating it proper. Start/Settings/
fig-a-2-8.png

fig-b-2-8.png

Another thing you do mention that I wonder if you don't mind to share, is what vendor/model is the NAS?

Cleo

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 25, 2020
@harlan4096 is the one that changed your thread Tag from " At-Risk " to " Advanced Security " and the main reason was your AV protection, and nothing else. The rest of your configuration is already more then good enough, so I wouldn't worry for a second. Your choice of password manager and even the cloud backup solution, is very smart. Personal I extra liked to see you even use a VPN. (y)

Using a 3rd party backup solution is a tool to simply help yourself in a case of emergency, hardware or software error/issue. Windows own clunky recovery environment still ain't bulletproof even if improved. For a few folders or files as you said, sure you can always do that easy to the cloud, USB and a NAS, but a full system backup is what's easy to miss out on as it will save you huge amount of time and energy, instead of have to manually start all over. Less headache so to say and it's not a requirement for your Tag, but still a very good basic advice/tip. You could also use Windows own built-in backup solution for a full system image. Available also in Windows 11. It's just a bit harder to find nowadays as Microsoft had the less bright idea of hide it away and enforce users to click a bit too much. Nevermind it says " Windows 7 " as it might confuse ( same in Windows 11 ). It's simply Microsoft being lazy and not updating it proper. Start/Settings/

Another thing you do mention that I wonder if you don't mind to share, is what vendor/model is the NAS?
Synology DiskStation DS416 running DSM 7.1-42661 Update 3, Weekly system scan with "AV Essentials", 2-factor logon, non-standard admin name, always on Vypr VPN (NAT firewall enabled). I think it auto-updates the OS but apps require manual updating. TLS set to "modern only", 5 failed logins from an untrusted client locks them out. Default firewall and one QuickConnect ID defined. NextDNS' vanilla dns servers.

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
home sales discontinued. existing lic is maintained under corporate. mine just updated yesterday to new version.
Thanks for the heads up! Do I just need to login to my old Smart Antivirus dashboard and download the installer from there? And if so, will it simply update to the endpoint version?

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Edit: I just tried it and it actually installs the latest corporate version but instantly updates or should I say downgrades to the last Smart Antivirus version from last year.

I don't know what's going wrong on my system. It's supposed to update to v. 3.0 and not to downgrade to v. 2.0 after a few minutes...

Last edited:

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
Cylance such a mess. It's giving me "account full" error when I don't have any devices registered. I tried to reach customer support and they don't know. It's incredible that they are selling an AV that can't get past the activation process. Trash.

I will just download kaspersky security cloud instead

Last edited:

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Cylance such a mess. It's giving me "account full" error when I don't have any devices registered. I tried to reach customer support and they don't know. It's incredible that they are selling an AV that can't get past the activation process. Trash.

I will just download kaspersky security cloud instead
To be fair they are not selling it anymore. When did you get the license?

Reactions: oldschool and Cleo

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.