Advice Request CloudFlare is NOT bad for your privacy

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

blacksheep

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 8, 2020
Lately I noticed that there is some people who are saying that CloudFlare is not privacy friendly. That's not true and here is some points I want to make.

1. Between Akamai, CloudFront and Fastly, there's not really much other better CDN provider
2. Cloudflare is the most privacy friendly of them
3. They switched to hCaptcha from Google Captcha which is huge step forward
4. They have actual transparency reports
5. They went thought audits

So, my conclusion is that CloudFlare is privacy friendly and other solutions are way worse.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018

"Cloudflare on Wednesday said it is ditching Google's reCAPTCHA bot detector for a similar service called hCaptcha out of concerns about privacy and availability, but mostly cost." Cloudflare also has concerns about access to the Chinese internet, as G**gle is banned there and as a result internet users there can't access services that have reCaptcha on their websites.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

1. Between Akamai, CloudFront and Fastly, there's not really much other better CDN provider
3. They switched to hCaptcha from Google Captcha which is huge step forward
4. They have actual transparency reports
5. They went thought audits
That's not how it works. You can't say that if you only compare with 3 services instead of all.

Their audit show exactly that they lies and they don't respect privacy.

also using a DNS just because it's a big CDN doesn't make sense and is maybe even a disadvantage

blacksheep

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 8, 2020
That's not how it works. You can't say that if you only compare with 3 services instead of all.

Their audit show exactly that they lies and they don't respect privacy.

also using a DNS just because it's a big CDN doesn't make sense and is maybe even a disadvantage
I been trying others and they are super slow/lacking of features comparing to CloudFlare. I listed only major CDN players.
I am not talking only about DNS, but hey remember their DNS is the fastest one and better than your ISP's.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

I been trying others and they are super slow/lacking of features comparing to CloudFlare. I listed only major CDN players.
I am not talking only about DNS, but hey remember their DNS is the fastest one and better than your ISP's.
It doesn't matter if they're 1ms faster. Using external services increase attack surface and also you share your data.

Also if you realy care about DNS speed, use Unbound. Loading times go then to 0-1ms (if site is in cache)

blacksheep

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 8, 2020
It doesn't matter if they're 1ms faster. Using external services increase attack surface and also you share your data.

Also if you realy care about DNS speed, use Unbound. Loading times go then to 0-1ms (if site is in cache)
That looks interesting. Thanks for the link.

Well let's put DNS aside. What about CDN itself? MalwareTips is using CloudFlare and you are against CloudFlare, but there is nothing you can do about it.

You still visit the website and communicate here. Aren't you breaking your own standards here?

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

That looks interesting. Thanks for the link.

Well let's put DNS aside. What about CDN itself? MalwareTips is using CloudFlare and you are against CloudFlare, but there is nothing you can do about it.

You still visit the website and communicate here. Aren't you breaking your own standards here?
Why did i break standards if i don't use their DNS? This isn't how DNS works
A DNS doesn't need to be a big CDN like Cloudflare. Also it exist more CDN's.

I also never say that i'm against Cloudflare in generally or CDN's. I say that their DNS service isn't privacy friendly.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.