App Review Comodo Internet Security 7 Final Test (MalwareDoctor)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

MDTechVideos

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012
thank you, test comodo again with viruscope on ;)

A lot would have changed right? :D

But on a serious note I was initially skeptical how the BB was going to react to malware with viruscope off. I am sure they have a reason for having it off by default (at-least with the "Internet Security" configuration). I am going to download Comodo for my host computer in the next couple days and play around with it a little bit more. :)

juhful

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
Nice review Doc, I had some trouble installing this but after going to the Comodo forum and getting advice it is now installed and so far it runs great and I notice a significant speed increase across my entire system, will have to play with it a little, but for now I like it! Was running Eset Nod32 with Online Armour Free Firewall wich I thought was light but this is even lighter.

Reactions: MDTechVideos

Jcwisgod

Level 2
Verified
Dec 4, 2013
Lol just got done watching this on youtube before I clicked thread :D
lhkc.png

really am considering getting it

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
On the Firewall: 220 MB! Is the viruscope included in the Comodo Firewall? And how viruscope working? At this point in time?:confused:

MDTechVideos

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012
On the Firewall: 220 MB! Is the viruscope included in the Comodo Firewall? And how viruscope working? At this point in time?:confused:

It is included in their behavior blocker. I checked out some of the different configurations since this test was published and found that Viroscope is enabled when the configuration is set to Proactve Security.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Difference between CIS configuration settings:
http://help.comodo.com/topic-72-1-522-6370-Comodo-Preset-Configurations.html

Interestingly enough, according to the malware scanning results performed during the setup process, if no malware is found, HIPS is set to Clean PC mode. Otherwise, the default is Safe mode.

So the difference between HIPS; Clean PC and Safe modes:
http://help.comodo.com/topic-72-1-522-6303-HIPS-Behaviour-Settings.html
- Would testing in Safe mode make much of difference than Clean PC mode?

Took me a while to find information about the VirusScope, there's no search in the help guides sites:
http://help.comodo.com/topic-72-1-522-6307-Behavior-Blocker-.html

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Good advice, default settings are usually the most optimal for a wider range of users. Would VirusScope be recommended in 7.1?

OT: Banned from viewing Comodo Forums, worked a few weeks ago.

Reactions: alexp79

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Great review, and its good to see that Comodo made some progress.
Also as you said the direction they are going is good... so I hope they can keep it up.

Little critical note, I am not to impressed with the blocking feature for one reason alone, during the execution of some of the files you could see in killswitch that some made like 5 or 6 processes and Comodo caught only 1.
This technique used in malware development to fool the AV and to inject malicious code into legit processes.

And even tho Malwarebytes and all other programs did not detect any afterwards I would bet that a full scan on max settings would turn up a few hidden ones.
Another thing I want to mention CIS told you to restart the PC because a few files where still "active" even tho they where quarantined.
This should NOT be possible. If a file is quarantined it should not be able to run, and CIS should have enough admin rights to KILL the PID and take the file out of the system into the quarantine.
I personally know some Malware that if CIS would perform in the same way, they would totally destroy your OS.

That said all in all I think its a nice suit and its good to see that they are moving forward.
Great review and thanks.

Reactions: Nikos751

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.