Hot Take Comodo Kill Switch, is it malware?

Abdel-Rezak

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Dec 2, 2018
Is Comodo Kill Switch actually malware? Because according to Virus Total it is, it's flagged as trojan malware by 9 security vendors and one security sandbox!

COMODO KILL SWITCH 2023-12-23_214012.png

Last edited by a moderator:

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Is Comodo Kill Switch actually malware? Because according to Virus Total it is, it's flagged as trojan malware by 9 security vendors and one security sandbox! I
Old News.
It's been detected for some time as a PUP but it's not. I believe it's something to do with how Comodo used to try and upsell you 3rd party apps. Comodo bought killswitch many years ago and was available as a separate stand alone download but for whatever reason, these vendors still detect it as a PUP even though it's a very useful tool and I've never seen any evidence of it being malware or a PUP.

1703365846921.png

Last edited:

Anthony Qian

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 17, 2021
I have previously used Comodo KillSwitch and did not realize that it attempts to sell additional products. Bitdefender classifies it as a PUP with a specific detection name, indicating that Bitdefender intentionally detects it and it is not a false positive.The reason for this classification may be that the ARK tool has the capability to "Kill All Untrusted Processes" with just one click. This function becomes dangerous when exploited by malware.

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
I have previously used Comodo KillSwitch and did not realize that it attempts to sell additional products. Bitdefender classifies it as a PUP with a specific detection name, indicating that Bitdefender intentionally detects it and it is not a false positive.The reason for this classification may be that the ARK tool has the capability to "Kill All Untrusted Processes" with just one click. This function becomes dangerous when exploited by malware.
I was referencing to the Comodo installer in Comodo Stable versions prior to .8012. I don't know enough about it myself, using it to only monitor for sandboxed processes. Interesting about Bitdefender. Undecided what configuration I'll run for the coming year.

F

ForgottenSeer 100397

If you downloaded it from the Comodo forum or website, you should be fine. The detection could be because of the advanced tools. From what I remember, the standalone KillSwitch never included bundled products.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.