Battle Comparing Anti-Ransomware

generalwu

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2016
Hi All,

I'm currently using Avast AV Free along with Zemana Anti-Keylogger and recently I came across Kaspersky Anti-Ransomware which I'm curious if I were to use it to protect myself against Ransomware would be a waste of resources?

Thanks. :)

Reactions: GonzitoVir

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
I feel this maybe badly translated, that use the trducctor of Google.
what I want to say is that only Kaspersky blocks the Rasomwares.
AppCheck, acts as another way to let run the Rasomware but protects the system and leaves folders on all sides then restore them

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I was project lead/designer of Multiplicity when I was in upper management at Stardock. It was originally designed for gamers if you can believe that. I negotiated to have it bundled with Eve-Online at one point for multi-boxing. Then later it took off after being marketed to people like 911 call centers and such. Small world, eh?

Anyway, for most consumers/homes ransomware shouldn't be an issue. It's mostly targeted towards business/corporate and the vectors are mostly server based infrastructure and/or email clients. Using a Web Mail service, Libre Office instead of MSOffice, and a non-Adobe PDF viewer should largely eliminate most risk to ransomware. I haven't run into any consumers with Ransomware in a long time.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
AppCheck, acts as another way to let run the Rasomware but protects the system and leaves folders on all sides then restore them
yes that's how appcheck and kaspersky work

appcheck: after 20 files are encrypted => appcheck will be triggered a revert those changes
kaspersky: try to block before the file can do anything, if fails, it will try to revert but this is very limited

however, againts zero-day, appcheck is better
we already have an AV as a signature-based product => we need a good signature-less product, appcheck is a good one

Last edited:

generalwu

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2016
appcheck and kaspersky are very stable

appcheck > kaspersky: zero-day ransomwares. appcheck can revert most encrypted files, sometimes, it misses but files can be found in the backup folder
kaspersky (online only) > appcheck: a few day old ransomwares, MBR ransomwares

kaspersky has KSN (cloud) which can detect many ransomwares instantly. It has system watcher (a weaker version of the actual kaspersky suits) but it's much less effective than appcheck as malware hub tests proved it

another solution is 360 folder protector. it's not an antiransomware tool but it can backup files before any change applied. it can be used with other other tools in case antiransomware tools and AVs fail to protect, files will be safe (backed up) regardless of the infection

I can recommend kaspersky antiransomware + qihoo 360 folder protector = free. this combo is also great and your files will be aafe in most cases, better than appcheck free alone
appcheck pro can do everything: backup, protect MBR if you are willing to try and pay

360 folder protector is good if you know where to recover the files but not good for users friends who don't know anything about PC + you can't help them

Great explanation, thanks. :cool:

Does 360 folder comes as an standalone software or it comes along with 360 AV?

Again, great explanation. Thanks a lot. :cool:

I was project lead/designer of Multiplicity when I was in upper management at Stardock. It was originally designed for gamers if you can believe that. I negotiated to have it bundled with Eve-Online at one point for multi-boxing. Then later it took off after being marketed to people like 911 call centers and such. Small world, eh?

Anyway, for most consumers/homes ransomware shouldn't be an issue. It's mostly targeted towards business/corporate and the vectors are mostly server based infrastructure and/or email clients. Using a Web Mail service, Libre Office instead of MSOffice, and a non-Adobe PDF viewer should largely eliminate most risk to ransomware. I haven't run into any consumers with Ransomware in a long time.

I see, what you've said made sense too. Just that I've seen reports of consumer gotten ransomware too hence the precaution. :p

yes that's how appcheck and kaspersky work

appcheck: after 20 files are encrypted => appcheck will be triggered a revert those changes
kaspersky: try to block before the file can do anything, if fails, it will try to revert but this is very limited

however, againts zero-day, appcheck is better
we already have an AV as a signature-based product => we need a good signature-less product, appcheck is a good one

Also another great explaination.

Thanks guys, I think I gotten the answer.:D

I'll be installing AppCheck and monitor it's resource usage to see if it impacts my system.
If it's I'll probably remove it from my system. :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.