Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011
Interesting reading.

http://www.infopackets.com/news/internet/2011/20111207_google_could_pull_plug_on_firefox.htm

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
I hope not. My Adobe Flash Player does not work properly in Chrome. I have to use Firefox or the videos won't build up properly when I put the player on pause.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
As far as I know Mozilla was talking with Microsoft regarding the possibility of changing it's default Firefox search engine to Bing....... and I'm sure that after some negotiations Microsoft will agree as this is a good move for them and Mozilla. The main problem now seems to be that Mozilla really needs this deal with Microsoft so let's hope they will have some 'aces in the sleeves' and will be able to get a good deal.
I was really wondering how much time will Google continue their agreement with Mozilla as now this company is there main competitor.
Could this be the end of Firefox?
NO but this aren't Mozilla good times......They now have a taste of what free market economy means..

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
No it's not the end of Firefox. Some article writer is over reacting.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Its because Chrome placed on the second place for market shares doesn't mean Firefox have no longer chance to catch up again then quit.

Its impossible they will end for Firefox since one of the famous browser around the corner.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
MrXidus said:
No it's not the end of Firefox. Some article writer is over reacting.

Agreed. Firefox will never die (unless something big happens), well untill that does happen I am going to continue using it :)

Viking

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011
My thoughts are along the same way, Firefox is far too popular to cal it a day! And like you McLovin, I will still use it.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Viking said:
Firefox is far too popular to call it a day!
Exactly , if lets say that one day Mozilla won't be able to financially sustain this project , I'm sure that a lot of other big companies will be interested in buying this brand.
The article in the first post is written to make things more interesting for the reader but it doesn't have any solid facts at the base.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Also Firefox have more versions to be release in the future and users are really forward to look on it so market usage may increase also from upcoming months.

silviu_c

Feb 28, 2011
The guy that wrote this article is a moron. Why in the world would google give up on firefox now ? It still has a very large chunk of the market and because of that, so does google search, which is the default search engine on any firefox install. Can you imagine the reaction of people when they find out that google deliberately killed firefox ? Are they going to flock to Chrome ? I don't think so.

Reporting at its best, not :)

The only thing that will kill firefox is firefox. I hope it will never happen.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Also Firefox have more project that were preparing to release in the future that users were still interested.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Glad to see that it still be the default search. Everyone uses Google search.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Hungry Man said:
People loved Netscape too.

I simple loved Netscape back in the days, but its source code is still alive in SeaMonkey.

image000lr.png

SeaMonkey using Modern Skin (The Netscape Browser's default).
Most of the GUI still is identical to Netscape 7.

Thanks.:D

Hungry Man

Jul 21, 2011
Netscape as we knew it is dead. The nice thing about open source is that projects never really die.

silviu_c

Feb 28, 2011
Some people may have loved Netscape back in the day, heck I used to use it too, but many certainly did not. Damn, I still remember what a memory hog it was. If a certain app today requires even 1GB of my RAM I'm perfectly ok with it, I have 7 more :) but back in the day, personal computers had worse specs than your average smartphone from today. Netscape was begining to be a whole new OS running on top of your OS :D

Fun times... meh

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
If the theory that Firefox will end the lifecycle surely it could be 3x or more the users to transfer from other browser like in Google Chrome, Safari, IE and Opera.

For the agreement between Google and Mozilla its really a good news, a part of our life is that Google Search is the main search engine for us. And we cannot leave it without Google.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.