Cowpipe's Config

Cowpipe

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
My configuration for my Windows laptop which I don't use all that often, only for gaming and some casual programming (I have a love hate relationship with .NET).

Not the tightest security config but it works and with careful browsing has kept me infection free for at least three or four years now.

I make a point of having the physical ethernet cable connection into my laptop & router close by so as I can do a 'hard' disconnect in case of an emergency, such as if I notice something downloading, or a suspicious pop-up or redirect etc.

I use a jail for my internet browsing anyway with a false set of files and documents in case I get hit with ransomware, I prefer it to sandboxie as a lot of malware has anti-vm and anti-sandboxie but a jail is harder to detect (or at least I haven't seen much malware that specifically looks for this).

Last infection on this computer was actually my own error in running a malware sample with a misconfigured sandbox, not much damage done but left some dropped C&C related files to clean up, will put my other configs up later I expect :D

Cowpipe

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Switched from WinJail to Chroot for Windows (as the latter is free). I use it as an extra layer of protection to prevent exploits and malware from seeing my personal files and to confuse any potential 'live attacks' from hackers (hopefully by the time they realise they're chrooted, I'll already have picked up on the infection)

Cowpipe

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
you need a backup solution, trust me ^^

Any recommendations? I have a couple of HDDs with most important content backed up, have also thought about backing important files (encrypted) up to multiple dual layer disks and distributing to various friends and family for safe keeping (10 places to get a copy of the backup, only one person needs to be reliable out of ten). Don't know much about cloud solutions to be honest

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.