Cryptex 2014 - Crack This Post

Cowpipe

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
@Malware1 :
Find the hidden meaning of this post, PM Cowpipe so he shuts up.

PM the first clue answer to me, you will receive instructions on how to proceed to Clue2.

Clue1:
Code:
52a96508c39536f0c2ef43b19a0a1e0e
http://metro.co.uk/0000/00/00/cm9sZ...LW9uLXJvb2YtaW4tc3dpc3MtYWxwcw-0000000/word26

Rules:

* Prize for any winner who obtains the 5th and final clue word (max. 5 people)
* No posting clue words or hints, spoils the fun of the game
* You don't have to be technical to play this game, you just have to think outside the box
* You don't have to be Malware1 to play this game, you just have to think outside the box

Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: Malware1
D

Deleted member 21043

Malware1 is probably offline now, so he won't even see this until the morning. It gives everyone a headstart because he's clearly going to win!

Reactions: Cowpipe
D

Deleted member 21043

I drink Cowcocola and I eat Mookies with it every night. When I drink my Cowcocola I browse MalwareTips from my Mootorola smart phone. I used to have a iMoo but the screen smashed. Every week I write code in Moosembly Programming Language and I use the .COW framework to build stable and good looking applications. I find exploits in websites using my own self-made MooScript.

If you want to buy some of my Cowcocola or Mookies Deluxe please PM me. Also PM me if you want my old second hand Mootorola :D :)

Can I buy some Cowcocola and Mookies Deluxe? Which milk brand are they made from?

D

Deleted member 21043

Of course you can, pal! I will PM you within 30 seconds with the address :)
Bro I've been waiting 30 minutes, not seconds... I need my Cowcocola to shut me up before I get my "out-of-cowcocola" alergy, grow big red spots and start smoking cheese out my nose with a fake cigarrete I visualize which doesn't actually exist. I need the Mookies before I grow the tongue of a lizard and catch my own tail in my mo.. ooops, I said to much. Tail? What are you talking about? I never said anything about having a tail... Feet* YES! FEET I SAID!

Cowpipe

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Gah! Took me 20 seconds to figure out the meaning...

Try me!: (PM me with answer)
Hint1:
Code:
192u940839844bMmjvkbAmcjklfbYlmjHkljJKb2ommvighnjivoijvnjfivvjfjfviffjvkfujb6

I'd say that is a manually typed 'random' string. Multiple common letter groupings (eg: f,v,j ;jk), distinct groupings between letters and numbers, and repeating patterns. Lack of randomly capital letters (which on western keyboard layouts take more effort to type and so are less frequently introduced into long 'random' strings). The length and structure does not match any hash formats and as I said before there is low entropy, making me doubt you have used any encryption or generated a string randomly.

I'm not a cryptography expert though, did I miss something?

@Chromatinfish 123

Last edited:

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
I'd say that is a manually typed 'random' string. Multiple common letter groupings (eg: f,v,j ;jk), distinct groupings between letters and numbers, and repeating patterns. Lack of randomly capital letters (which on western keyboard layouts take more effort to type and so are less frequently introduced into long 'random' strings). The length and structure does not match any hash formats and as I said before there is low entropy, making me doubt you have used any encryption or generated a string randomly.

I'm not a cryptography expert though, did I miss something?

@Chromatinfish 123
You're right, I just pounded on the keyboard :p

Code:
fFyuUhErOiPuT6I9PFMABERNITuqlsuckepcmskeudk,cuskcm;;ro603euoiuvlkn  vtn

Cowpipe

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Well, looks like nobody managed to get this right. Everybody who PMed me fell for the MD5 hash, which is actually an unsalted hash of the word "Fake". The clue is in the name of course :p It's just a decoy.

Like I said, this wasn't intended to be a technical exercise, the actual answer is incredibly simple to come by. The title of the thread is "Crack This Post", that is your first clue, just as when analysing an email you should look at the message source, when analysing this post, you should look at the HTML source. Staff members, you'll find another hidden message in the original post (click edit) which is not visible to other users in the HTML source-code.

image.png

Notice the URL which is disguised in the main post? Following the URL you can see that it leads to a 404 error, but if you examine some of the other URLs on the website you will find this is simply because the URL is in the wrong format. The proper format of URLs at the metro.co.uk is as follows:

Code:
http://metro.co.uk/2014/08/01/things-are-about-to-get-loud-cheryl-cole-and-mel-b-prepare-for-battle-in-new-x-factor-trailer-4818765/

Notice that the date section has been zeroed out and the 'friendly' section of the URL (with the headline title) is jumbled. The ID number has also been zeroed out, and the phrase "word26" has been appended.

The key here is in the jumbled letters and numbers. A closer inspection should reveal that it appears to be in base64 format, and indeed decrypting the text from base64 gives you the following text:

Code:
rolf-steiner-cow-gets-stuck-on-roof-in-swiss-alps

The URL still won't be valid without recovering the zeroed values, which can easily be done by searching Google for the url phrase. This gives us the folloiwng complete URL:

Code:
http://metro.co.uk/2014/06/17/rolf-steiner-cow-gets-stuck-on-roof-in-swiss-alps-4764420/

Notice the word26 is not present in the actual URL. Instead, counting into the text by 26 words from the start of the article leads us to "bovine" which is the correct clue word :) As for the rest of the four clues, as nobody actually got the first clue right, I won't reveal what they were or how they worked (in case I decide to do another of these kind of threads some time).

The main point being that breaking ciphers and systems is as much about the thought process as how much technical knowledge you have. A proper analysis of the situation is essential as going in with an incomplete understanding will lead you to be more susceptible to failure :D

Reactions: Chromatinfish 123

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
Ok I'm lost here, all posts sounds Klingon to me.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.