Cryptowall 3.0 and Linux

rx22

Thread author
Aug 7, 2015
Hello everyone.
I was hit with the go-straight-to-hell Crypto Wall 3.0, never knew what hit me. Still don't know how it hit me. I had a USB back up drive- but it was plugged in. Yanked it. Looked at files on a separate PC- everything seemed fine. Then....I decided to make a back up of this USB- thinking- wrongly- it was the first and smart thing to do. As I was copying the whole USB onto another USB it was encrypting my files in the background without my realizing it. Desktop files first. Then going alphabetically. My Image file (350GB) may still be safe on the 2nd back up drive. When I realized what was happening I cut all power.

I have a friend with a Linux pc. The thought is to boot the USB and copy that Image file.
If the OS is the means for the Crypto to burn thru my files, the thought is that chances are, the Crypto is not engineered for Linux- thus, it is as if we are plugging my USB into a rock- it will sit there in that dormant state as we copy the file- thus- not "awakening" the Crypto to burn up the files during the duplication time.

Is this thinking correct?

Thanks everyone for your help.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.