Product name
Crystal Security 3.5.0.147
Pros
  • - Quick and easy installation
    - Portable version available
    - Simple and straightforward UI
    - Low RAM usage (~20MB)
    - Fast scanning speed
    - Includes 4 engines: collective cloud (VirusTotal), in-house (cloud), heuristic and internal (hash-based)
    - Option to upload unknown files to the cloud for further analysis
    - Lots of settings to tweak for more advanced users
    - Good detection ration (84/110 on my test which translates to 76.3%)
    - Stealth Guard feauture for locking down your system (whitelisting approach)
    - Compatible with other antivirus solutions
CONS
- Offline protection not so good compared to cloud
- Bugs with shell integration
- Requires .NET Framework
- No user guide / help file
- UI lags during scanning process
- Sometimes (especially at first), alerts can be quite cumbersome
- Quite a few false positives
BOTTOM LINE
Crystal Security is a quite good standalone antimalware solution, very light on system resources that offers a great level of protection. As far as stability is concerned, things could be much better, but the developer keeps updating the product regularly with bug fixes. As a second line of defense, I think it's a great choice and I really hope it gets even better.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
I do like this software, the only problem i have is a use it as second opinion software and Norton keeps flagging it and deletes the program. I have reported it to Norton but it keeps happening all the time. :(

@Kardo Kristal can anything be done about this. :oops:

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
The program is good 2nd opinion cloud detection software and its quite handy. The only problem I faced is the occasional program crash-exits otherwise its a promising security software.

jerzy601

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 20, 2011
so I like this program is a good program frequently updated, it means the producer of the program takes care of updating their products and users of the firmware have it installed on your system and still has not let me down.

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
VOTED: Yes, great... needs work :)
It does need some more buggies worked out. I ran into about 2, which is mild (last version fixed the on/off prob I had) problem with a crash during a detection,... I plan to use more in future it warns off unknown files nicely.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.