Advice Request Custom system+data backup

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hadden

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 18, 2015
I'm considering an incremental backup solution, so I'm looking some of them to see what can I expect to do with that.

Start with the current situation.
> In C: I have both System and Datas which doesn't fit in other drives (~1500 GB of USB drives almost full).
> Probably a good start will be to partition C and have System (~500 GB) and Data (~1500 GB) or even better buy a new drive.

I'd like to do a custom system image (so with all its partitions) but without carrying in it the data part - which is the most consistent and to keep a "small" size by time with incrementals (with data part will be too big).

It's only possible via re partitioning or there are softwares that can take the GPT partitions (I'm on UEFI) of system drive without put in the image specific files? (documents, videos, pictures ecc ecc)

> However, this idea isn't applicable if restoring the system image MUST format the partitions, as I'll lose the data, so in that case is better to partition the drive BEFORE XD

Last edited:

orangenbaumblatt

Level 2
Verified
May 9, 2013
I would start with partitioning the drive to separate the system and the files. Then you could select only the C: drive containing your Windows to backup and the data partition remains excluded from the backup. I personally use Veeam Endpoint Backup, which allows me to bare-metal recover only the partitions that I need.

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
i would suggest you to use 2 separate drives. For example:

*) 500GB/ 1 TB internal drive for system/progams only
*) 2 TB for (personal) data only

As a backup solution for the bigger drive (for your personal data only) you could use the software "Free File Sync" to
synchronize/backup every 2-3 days your data with one (or more) external USB drives. For the smaller drive (1 TB for
system/programs only) you could use one of the free/paid image softwares to create incremental images one or two times in a month.
The advantage is: if your OS crashes (or the system HDD crashes: hardware failure) then you have all your personal data on a
second/separate internal drive.
This is/was also my backup solution in my two laptops: system/programs on a SSD (256 GB) and personal data on the internal HDD only.
I'm synchronizing the internal HDDs 2-3 times in a week with my external USB drives. Minimum once per month i'm making a full
system image of both SSDs.

Last edited:

Hadden

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 18, 2015
Another question....
Assuming I'll split my main drive (C) or buy an SSD for that:
> Let's say 250~ GB (system C) and 1,75 TB~ (Data D)
> Let's say C has still 200 GB of free space now
> Let's say D is almost full

The image is big as the drive (250~ GB) or only as the occupied space? (50~ GB)

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
For a system image it would only occupy 50GB space. ;)

Reactions: Hadden

Hadden

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 18, 2015
I did the splitting thing - 120 GB for System and 1.75~ TB for Data - and went back to MBR partition (GPT are a nightmare to handle, expecially on UEFI system).
I did a full backup with macrium (after win10 post install) and doing incremental backup daily. (but I hope I won't need them XD)

Reactions: frogboy

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
if you have problems with free space on your drive D: (see post #04) you should read this post .

...a quote from this post:
D: drive only has less than 7% free space. Windows likes 15% free space in order to perform stuff "behind the scenes" without adversely affecting the system's performance. Please free up 15% on ALL hard drives (you can get away with 10% on larger drives and won't notice a large performance penalty). Low free space can cause BSOD's - but the actual amount depends on the files being used by the system.

Reactions: Hadden

Hadden

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 18, 2015
Thanks.
I'll look that, for now I've a plenty of free space both in C: (System) and in D: (Games&Programs). And yes, system is faster than before in this way.

I don't use DaemonTools anymore, but only clonecd virtual drive (which handle .ccd files).

For now I'm on latest 10240 as I had issues with 1511 version: slow shutdowns, hanging explorer, sometimes USB issues, programs hanging too often.
I had to lock the update with Microsoft tool. However, should be work now. But I don't trust it anymore =D

Probably I'll wait for a while and I go directly to Anniversary Update.

My USB drives (E and F) are almost full, but I'm trying to free them with the space recovered by removing leftovers of files I don't need anymore.

I started to use portable version of apps whenever possible.

Thumb drives/virtual drives now have a recursive drive letter order (starting from Z) so I'm sure they won't mix with other devices in explorer

I have a windows 10 PE thumb drive (with macrium and other goodies) for any inconvenient :D

Last edited:
Reactions: LASER_oneXM
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.