For home and private use
Operating system
Windows 11
Other operating system
W11 Pro, 22H2, build 22621.1194
On-device encryption
N/A
Log-in security
    • Biometrics (Windows Hello PIN, TouchID, Face, Iris, Fingerprint)
Security updates
Allow security updates and latest features
User Access Control
Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer
Smart App Control
Evaluation mode
Network firewall
Real-time security
- Norton For Gamers
Firewall security
About custom security
+ Norton Firewall in Aggressive Mode
Periodic malware scanners
- Sophos
- Emsisoft
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Opera browser, because I'm addicted to their improved video quality feature - it's just become my drug!:eek:

Opera Stable
- Microsoft Editor: Spelling & Grammar Checker
- Avira extension

Avira is able to analyze other extensions, judging by such settings option, I set its extension as well, so that my Norton can get data from Avira if some of my extensions turn out to be or become bad. :D
- Bitwarden
- uBlock Origin
- Virus Total extension
- TWP - Translate Web Pages
Secure DNS
- NextDNS Premium

DNS is separately configured in the system using the built-in Windows tools, as well as in browsers

- YogaDNS to prevent Norton's VPN from replacing NextDNS with its own
Desktop VPN
- Winscribe Free (50gb)
- Norton VPN
Password manager
- Bitwarden Free
The number of encryption cycles increased to 600,000 from the standard 100,000, two-factor authorization for login.
(+ Authy of 2FA)
Maintenance tools
- CCleaner
- HiBit Uninstaller

to disable and delete unnecessary after installation:
+ O&O ShutUp10++
+ O&O AppBuster
File and Photo backup
- One Drive
- Norton BackUp
System recovery
I don't do full system backups.
Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Browsing to unknown / untrusted / shady sites
    • Working from home
    • Making audio/video calls
    • Opening email attachments
    • Buying from online stores, entering banks card details
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Downloading software and files from unknown / untrusted / shady sites
    • Sharing and receiving files and torrents
    • Gaming
    • Gaming with third-party mods
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
    • Coding and development
Computer specs

MSI GE75 8SG Raider (i7-8750H, RTX 2080, 32 GB, 1TB SSD)

What I'm looking for?

Looking for medium feedback.

CyberDevil

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
It's a pretty simple config for a New Year. :) I just finished reinstalling Windows and I wanted to try something new, so I bought Norton For Gamers for a special price. From my point of view, antivirus should at least not slow down the computer, besides protection, and at most do something else useful besides background load, Norton For Gamers gives me privacy leak monitor (although F-Secure do it much better!), as well as VPN and CPU optimization for games, that is very good. NextDNS in my opinion is still one of the best ways to fight against phishing (not sure about scams).

By the way, according to my experience, because I have a relatively weak processor, but 6 cores, and in the background runs MySQL and a bunch of other student stuff, then Norton really helps my games. :)

Oh, also almost all the software is installed through WinGet - it's fantastically convenient!

P.S. I really wanted to install Avast One, but I couldn't find any special promotions for it. For mobile phone it is MUCH better than Norton because it automatically protects all browsers, at least.

Last edited:

CyberDevil

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
An interesting point is that with the same set of personal data, Norton only sees 7 leaks of my data for me, while F-Secure sees 18 (!!!). It seems that Norton only monitors data in the country the license applies to + the largest international incidents. Also removal of personal data at brokers is available only in the U.S. license. =(

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
I think you could drop 1-2 extensions quite easily. Especially the Avira one, maybe Emsisoft too, and replace with BD Trafficlight, and drop one translation extension, could bookmark a website that does the same function instead. Just ideas though, they don't need to be acted upon. Apart from that, good config, thanks.

~LDogg

CyberDevil

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
Doesn't Norton For Gamers include their Norton Safe Web-browserextension ?
It only activates it for Edge and Chrome, for other browsers Norton does not provide protection, only if you install Safe Search manually from the Chrome store, but that's not what I want, I certainly don't need their search engine.

I think I could drop Emsisoft, because I don't know if their recently added protection against scam sites works in their extension, but on the other hand it doesn't bother me.

I think you could drop 1-2 extensions quite easily. Especially the Avira one, maybe Emsisoft too, and replace with BD Trafficlight, and drop one translation extension, could bookmark a website that does the same function instead.
I had an experience with a phishing site, which first added to Avira database and later to Eset after my request, since then I feel very good about Avira's web-protection, Emsisoft also adds all phishing sites to its database very operatively.

One extension for translation perfect translates pages, the second one translates single phrases better and has a nice looking interface, although I think I can really replace xTranslate with Opera's sidebar, I think I will do that.

-----

In general, the problem with extensions has become less critical thanks to the new chrome interface, which allows you to conveniently block or allow extensions to work on specific sites.
1675425715941.png

----
So,
- drop xTranslate and Emsisoft extensions
+ install YogaDNS to keep Norton from changing DNS when VPN is active

I also turned off zone detection for download files and Windows built-in reputation protection, since two Norton + Windows reputation protections are too much for me.

Last edited:

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
I wouldn't necessarily say that you have too many extensions, as I also see their use case, but Avira extension is truly not necessary with Opera + uBlock Origin + NextDNS malicious site protection. And in case anything is getting through, you still have Norton that will take care of it.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.