Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017

How does CyberGuard work?

CyberGuard uses a combination of techniques to detect threats:
Static Scanner
Scans files signature to evaluate trust level.
Behavior Scanner
Scans process behavior in runtime for any suspicious action.
This bypasses crypters protection.
Network Scanner
Scans network connections from processes:
blocks backdoors, trojan downloaders, remote access trojans,
and hacker intrusions.
File Access Scanner
Checks read/write/delete access to your files by suspicious processes.
Process Access Scanner
Scans for injection attemps or attempts to access external processes.
Kernel-Level System-Wide Monitoring
All process monitoring and blocking is performed at kernel level through a driver.
Kernel Level Monitoring provides an efficient and powerful technique for system-wide protection.​

Personally never heard of it and don't know how trustworthy it is but I thought it's worth sharing as it offers a free version too. So if some of you want to check it out, it would highly appreciated if you could share your experiences here. :)

tipo

Level 8
Well-known
Jul 26, 2012
just tested the free version under win10 pro x64. downloaded some fresh malware samples (6) and ran them. it caught nothing- only 2 alerts from the network access shield saying it stopped some exes from accessing the internet.. the malware managed to drop other exes on my desktop, opened 3 tabs in edge browser. I checked the running processes with process explorer and surprise!! 9 malicious processes up and running. so no.. a big NO in fact! didn`t bother to test against some ransomware because the free version doesn`t have ransomware shield at all.
cheers!

Kongo

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
The free version does not protect against malware according to their homepage. You would need to test against the pro version…
Unbenannt.PNG

Not quite right but I would be interested in the pro version too. I think it doesn't have a trial tho...

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
I had a test system set before realizing that the Free version is not functional as an anti-malware application (and after wasting the 10 minutes for the thingy to finish learning mode). Perhaps calling this a Demo instead would be preferable as those with short attention spans (like me) would assume that in a "Free" version some protection was involved and will go away dissatisfied.

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
I had a test system set before realizing that the Free version is not functional as an anti-malware application (and after wasting the 10 minutes for the thingy to finish learning mode). Perhaps calling this a Demo instead would be preferable as those with short attention spans (like me) would assume that in a "Free" version some protection was involved and will go away dissatisfied.

Hello Cruel :D

I had indeed seen this system. I'll have to adapt it (I have some ideas, like RAT, Botnet, Worm etc)

Viotto

From BreakingSecurity.net
Verified
Developer
Mar 5, 2022
Dear all,

Viotto from BreakingSecurity here.
I am the developer of CyberGuard.
I noticed you wanted to test CyberGuard against different threats, but the Free edition does not provide proper protection against some categories of malware.
I will be happy to grant you some free licenses of the Full edition in order to make proper tests and report the results. x)

Contact me anytime here or at admin@breakingsecurity.net

Best Regards

Kongo

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Dear all,

Viotto from BreakingSecurity here.
I am the developer of CyberGuard.
I noticed you wanted to test CyberGuard against different threats, but the Free edition does not provide proper protection against some categories of malware.
I will be happy to grant you some free licenses of the Full edition in order to make proper tests and report the results. x)

Contact me anytime here or at admin@breakingsecurity.net

Best Regards
Thanks for the offer! I am sure that a test of @cruelsister or @Shadowra could be really interesting.

May I ask you about the current version of the product? It's still version 1.0 on your website. Are you still actively developing the product? @Viotto

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Thanks for the offer! I am sure that a test of @cruelsister or @Shadowra could be really interesting.

May I ask you about the current version of the product? It's still version 1.0 on your website. Are you still actively developing the product? @Viotto

My little finger tells me that there may be a test of CyberGuard Pro by me ;)

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
No self-protection in active working security app make it useless especially when are talking about app with limited features. No excuse for such development.

Viotto

From BreakingSecurity.net
Verified
Developer
Mar 5, 2022
No self-protection in active working security app make it useless especially when are talking about app with limited features. No excuse for such development.
CyberGuard has self-protection.
Access to its process and files is restricted, using kernel-level protection. It is mentioned in the product and its webpage.

Current version is v1.0.1.
I've been busy pushing updates for other BreakingSecurity.net software recently,
but we plan to work on an update of CyberGuard soon as well.
So the project is still in active development.

My little finger tells me that there may be a test of CyberGuard Pro by me ;)
Would be happy to provide you a free license of the Full edition.
Really curious about the outcome of the test. x)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.