Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I am not sure when and what update this occurred during, but the Windows Defender icon now appears in the system tray, under 2 systems:
  • Windows 8 Core
  • Windows 8.1 Pro
To make the icon appear, simply launch Windows Defender from the Start Start.

upload_2015-9-15_17-36-55.png

During a system scan.

upload_2015-9-15_17-37-51.png

During an update.

upload_2015-9-15_17-38-41.png

Mouse-over, during update.

upload_2015-9-15_17-40-27.png

There is currently no context menu added by Microsoft, for Windows Defender on Windows 8, 8.1 and 10.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

Secondmineboy

Level 26
Verified
May 25, 2014
I hope they will add a context menu entry and will improve Defender further, many people rely on it as AV
its right behind Avast according to OPSWAT :)

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
It doesn't show on my PC (I have Windows Defender turned off, Windows Updates turned off).

Reactions: hjlbx

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@Secondmineboy : Well for the meantime, you may use registry tweak to have your own context scan for Windows Defender. They implemented this before way back on Windows 7 but not in 8 to 10.

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

@Huracan How do I get the icon to start at boot, I need to execute it for the icon to appear.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Hmm, have to see if the update has been applied at work. I think it's good to show in the taskbar as it gives you more security/peace of mind that you have it running and it's doing something.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
That icon to show may done through registry hacking. (Link)

But the good thing is you don't need to do that as its already running on startup invisible and any notification occur will just show immediately without user options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.