Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeN

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
May 10, 2011
DefenseWall HIPS
DefenseWall HIPS protects you from malicious software (spyware, adware, keyloggers, and rootkits) when you surf the Internet. Using the next generation proactive protection technologies, DefenseWall helps you achieve a maximum level of protection against malicious software, while not demanding any special knowledge or ongoing online signature updates. DefenseWall divides all applications into trusted and untrusted groups.

Untrusted applications are launched with limited rights to modification of critical system parameters, and only in the virtual zone that is specially allocated for them, thus separating them from trusted applications. In the case of penetration by malicious software via one of the untrusted applications, it cannot harm your system and may be closed with just one click.

GeSWall
GeSWall is intrusion prevention system that is non-intrusive and easy to use. With GeSWall, you can safely surf the Web, use e-mail, chat, exchange files, regardless of the security threats posed by the Internet. GeSWall is a required supplementary to your anti-virus, anti-spyware and personal firewall as it blocks unknown treats missed by those solutions.

eXPerience

Level 1
Mar 7, 2011
Defensewall paid - Geswall free

--> I rest my case :p

honestly though, I think both programs are great! These are the set and forget programs that all users need instead of all the internet security suites that will miss new malware anyway.

eXp

ghost

Level 1
Jan 16, 2011
I don't think everybody is interested in free vs. paid opinions. Ilya is still upgrading his Defensewall almost every month, in this time Geswall developer (i think his name is Andrey Kolishchak) released just one version in a year. I'm not saying Geswall is a weak product but still the world is changing and so should they.

MetalShaun

Level 1
Mar 3, 2011
I prefer Geswall. I think the reason thye haven't released many version recently is because they have been busy working on their leakwall program and i think they get alot of coperate customers. Can't wait for version 3.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
For me, this question is easy. I prefer DefenseWall because its as
easy as it can get if the user reads and learns about the program
before its installed. I used it for 6 months and nothing got through.
I used it combined with Sandboxie. After a few months I realized
that I should only use one of them even though there was no
foreseeable conflict. I decided for SBIE but my opinion of Defense
Wall is a 10
I prefer DW over GesWall because its always being updated and
test usually show DW doing a lot better than GesWall.

Bo

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
DefenseWall is easier to use and overall it will offer a larger degree of protection.
The biggest advantage that DefenseWall has is the built-in total untrusted file control.
DefenseWall has "Resource Protection" configured so that untrusted programs are separated from each other.
DefenseWall can also better protect users against identity theft, if malware tries to steal your information such as financial and banking passwords through an "untrusted" program, the Personal Firewall component will stop malware from calling home.
And right now DefenseWall is updated more often.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
Jack said:
And right now DefenseWall is updated more often.
In my opinion that is a huge difference when comparing security
programs but more so with this kind of security programs.
If we continue to use old versions of GesWall or DefenseWall, not
upgrading, the program will not work properly because of Windows,
system updates. This is one of the reasons I stopped using
version 2.56.
GesWall took a long time to upgrade from the previous version, this
I remember caused many issues to people that wanted to use the
program but could not anymore.
This is a big plus for DefenseWall since the program is in constant
development by Ilya.

Bo

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
bo.elam said:
development by Ilya.
I'm curious to see which developer will be able to figure out a way around the Patch Guard and launch a 64bit version...
I've been playing with GessWall and DefenseWall..and my final vote goes to DefenseWall..I love the Trusted/Untrusted concept. :)

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
Jack said:
bo.elam said:
development by Ilya.
I'm curious to see which developer will be able to figure out a way around the Patch Guard and launch a 64bit version...
I've been playing with GessWall and DefenseWall..and my final vote goes to DefenseWall..I love the Trusted/Untrusted concept. :)
I don't think Ilya wants a 64Bit version for DefenseWall. I don't know
what his reasons are for not developing it, could be that he does not
think it would be as good as the 32Bit, but I believe that if he
wanted one, there would be one.
Tzuk use to feel and talk about a 64Bit version, pretty much as Ilya
does and there is now a 64Bit Sandboxie that at a slow pace is
getting to be as good as the 32Bit version.
I hope he changes his mind about it.

Bo

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
Most developers believe that without bypassing PatchGuard the 64bit version of the product can't be as effective as the 32bit version. They also say that malware authors will always find a way to bypass Microsoft's kernel protection.

As for the subject at hand (DefenseWall vs. GeSWall): the product from SoftSphere provides more security, it also features a firewall and is updated more often. Some might say that the firewall is useless since Windows has its own firewall, however the windows firewall is offering inbound protection since WinXP SP2 was released and network worms were still able to get through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.