Advice Request Deleting cookies on exit.

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
I don't care if I keep cookies in the Edge. But Edge has the option to delete cookies on exit. I used it for a while, but it was a hassle a bit.
So now, I don't use it.
I use a VPN and clear cache and cookies with CCleaner Portable every 3 months. I also use uBlock Origin in advanced mode.
Is that enough?
Thank you.

ANNOx

Level 2
Sep 26, 2020
I don't care if I keep cookies in the Edge. But Edge has the option to delete cookies on exit. I used it for a while, but it was a hassle a bit.
So now, I don't use it.
I use a VPN and clear cache and cookies with CCleaner Portable every 3 months. I also use uBlock Origin in advanced mode.
Is that enough?
Thank you.
Ublock Origin advanced is enough . You can block third party cookies as well .The big red cookie icon on the bar is so distracting .Wish they had designed something smaller and pleasant looking .

Reactions: amirr

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
By default modern browsers have anti-tracking. I use the Balanced mode in Edge. Also with uBlock Origin beside uBlock Origin Extra.

Reactions: oldschool

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Why not set Edge to clear the cache on exit?
Too much hassle. /s

If I'm not mistaken CCleaner can be scheduled?

Clearing cache too often may slow down browsing speed for frequently visited sites and Web apps, by increased bandwidth consumption compared to not clearing cache.

Clear on Exit is a nice "privacy"-esque feature, and can be customised to exclude site data and cookies. However it requires user expertise to finely tune it, not every user knows or has time. 3p apps can be a solution for some.

(3p = Third Party)

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Clearing cache too often may slow down browsing speed for frequently visited sites and Web apps, by increased bandwidth consumption compared to not clearing cache.
I clean mine on every close (sometimes during a session) and don't find it to be an issue on desktop/laptop, given modern browser speed and performance. Phones are another thing entirely.

Again the choice is privacy vs. perfomance/convenience, so it's a personal matter.

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Does µBO Extra provide any benefit? It seems kind of limited, maybe outmoded with recent µBO improvements. :unsure:
For Firefox, uBlock Origin is enough. For Chrome and Edge, uBlock Origin Extra helps uBlock Origin to function at full capacity. uBlock Origin Extra doesn’t have any settings, it’s automatically used by uBlock origin. A friend of mine said these to me years ago.

Reactions: oldschool

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Does µBO Extra provide any benefit? It seems kind of limited, maybe outmoded with recent µBO improvements. :unsure:
It's only useful on a select number of sites:
Also the company who's technology it was designed to bypass was bought by Akamai, so it's not clear whether said technology is even operating anymore.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.