Here:
http://www.dennistechnologylabs.com/reports/s/a-m/2013/DTL_2013_Q4_Home.1.pdf

tr-ckvckenztcufxqtddxml.jpg

Reactions: Gnosis

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
First of all let me say well done your test and the results + presentation is very well done.
Little note i do have to make is that:
Avast! Free Antivirus 8
AVG Anti-Virus Free 2014
Microsoft Security Essentials

Are NOT in the same league as the other products.
The above mentioned AV's do not benefit from the additional modules that the "IS" type AV does provide.
Hence that this might put Avast, MSE and AVG into a disadvantage.

Kaspersky Internet Security 2014
ESET Smart Security 7
Norton Internet Security
BitDefender Internet Security
Trend Micro Internet Security
McAfee Internet Security

On a personal note i miss Sophos, F-Secure, G-Data, Norman and Bullguard (I am sure i miss a few that i did not listed yet.)

Non the less nice job and i am looking forward to your next test.

Reactions: Gnosis

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
Is it 2010 again? Kaspersky and Norton in the top 3? I am surprised that Norton did that well in this particular test. It seems like they have been back in the pack a bit in a few tests that I have seen over the last year or so. Always nice to see MSE exposed for what it is these days.

Last edited:

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
Norton being in 3rd had me wondering. The rest of the percentages looked like they were fudged pretty well though, as to reflect what might actually be the case.

Reactions: cruelsister

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Norton being in 3rd had me wondering. The rest of the percentages looked like they were fudged pretty well though, as to reflect what might actually be the case.

Actually Norton & Symantec has been doing great, i know they did have issues in the past with resources and effectiveness, but the last 3 years they have been at the very top playing catch with KAV and trading ranks.
But right now all the major vendors provide good software. One could say a bad AV does not exist.
That is if you take into account the 5 mainstream brands.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
@ Woomera, I was thinking that the topic poster did the test himself, and for that i credited him for the "try" itself.
In regards to Symantec i am a corporate and longtime user (See my systems config). Symantec offers TOP tier protection which is only matched by Sophos period.
There is not a single test in the world that can convince me otherwise.
However what needs to be noted is that the products from Symantec notably their End Point Solutions come out of the box at minimal settings. And using those will NOT give you the results everyone is hoping for.
SEP is a product that needs to be integrated into a specific config and changed to suit the scenario you are intend to use it for. (Its not a ready to go product)
Infact out of the box its a not even a shadow of what it can do fully integrated and operational.
And its not a product that should be used at home as its not developed for that, It requires technical knowhow.
That said having 10+ years of experience both as home user and business user has learned me to see past tests and mainstream reviews.
If costs would be a factor then Symantec is not for you, because they are not cheap compared to their counterparts.
But if security is a factor then governments, military networks, universities and big companies either use Symantec or Sophos.
And that says alot.

In regards to the home versions (Norton) i realize that there are better solutions out there. But business wise the list grows VERY small.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.