Thread author
Sep 4, 2013
Autoplay: disabled
File extensions: visible
UAC: Disabled
Backup: Manually on my third HDD
General computer knowledge: Intermediate
Firewall: Windows 7 Firewall
Frequent use of VM (on VMware Workstation) for experimenting - VM's are stored on a dedicated 2.5'' HDD 250 GB
Other assets: A cat as master that teaches me how to be cautious :p

WalterWolf

Level 3
Verified
Jan 28, 2013
Why UAC disabled ? UAC is 50% of Security if you use brain.
Maybe you should add firewall->Comodo,PrivateFirewall,Online Armor...

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I would say Windows Firewall is good enough, tied with EAM no threat should get through if the OP is knowledgeable of web threats. Even if something slips past the AV, Mamutu should pick it up.

Third-party Firewalls are like standalone Anti-Spyware programs, well that's my opinion anyway. :D

Although I do recommend UAC for Windows 7 or higher.

Destro

Thread author
Sep 4, 2013
Sometimes I run older software and I found that UAC is interfering with them - too lazy for rightclicking etc :)

As for firewall I believe the one that comes with Windows 7 is actually good, plus I run a strictly controlled system, downloading only from trusted sources and knowing what apps are accessing the internet with the help of netlimiter, and, occasionally, TCPEye. :)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
So there are people out there who are not on the "Third-party Firewall" bandwagon. :D

Destro

Thread author
Sep 4, 2013
Well, I see nothing wrong to use the integrated solutions as long as they're good. Windows 7 firewall is a decent firewall solution, though a bit intimidating for a non savy user :D

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Agreed, but some are paranoid about getting hacked, even though most PCs connected to the Internet are connected via a Router with a Firewall. Imo, you're more likely to get hacked from social engineering / phishing web pages.

Destro

Thread author
Sep 4, 2013
True! :)

And it always comes down to these two (social engineering/phishing) most of the time plus a click-happy attitude (click click click to get over it quickly :p ).

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.