Battle Difference Between Ghostery and Disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
How is Ghostery different from AdBlock Plus, Disconnect, DoNotTrackMe, etc?
Ghostery focuses on transparency, education, and privacy over content blocking. Other than that, the biggest difference is the size of the data collection library. Check out areweprivateyet.com for an open-source comparative study of these tools.

https://www.ghostery.com/en/faq#q16-features

So expect if Ghostery miss some trackers caused the difference where subscription based but the effectivity of blocking is good.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
jeevan_500, The chart from the link http://www.areweprivateyet.com/ provided by jamescv7 (from the boxed quote above) is also what I've based my personal use of Ghostery upon. Yes, it's published by Ghostery and thus leans positively toward Ghostery. If you do choose Ghostery consider this advice from FAQs: "..choose “Block new elements by default” in the “Auto Update” section".

Ghostery allows for tweaking while Disconnect is essentially set and leave it.

I do like both, and have Disconnect installed on my wife's Firefox browser beside NoScript. Enthusiasts and written praise of Disconnect (by Disconnect) claim it works better. They both (imho) work well.
Finally, Ghostery blocks cookies in Firefox (unlike Chrome). Try them both (separately) or by disabling one while using the other, and you be the judge.:)

BTW, nice thread subject!:D

Reactions: jamescv7

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
I've used both, Disconnect is my fav blocker... it's lighter and you wont notice it, great app.

Ghostery does really well too, if not better at times, but uses a bit more RAM and seems more aware of itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.