Advice Request Differences Hard_Configurator vs WHHLight

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Freki123

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
Since the threads about HC and WHHLight have quite a lot of pages now is there any chance to get a short sticky with the main differences and benefits (for semi noobs)?

I just wanted to play with @Andy Ful tools again and to be honest I'm not sure which way to go HC or WHHLight? After reading the WHHLight stuff on github as soon as "WDAC switch" starts it's above my understanding :D
I can get HC under SUA work just fine. The only thing I don't like: I seem to have to whitelist the folder with my games (which are on another drive instead on the drive that hold the OS) or each separate game exe by hand. Like OS is on C: while all games are on D: Any better way to do that or would WHHLight be a better solution for that?

Tldr:
Thanks Andy Ful for all the work and time you spend coding this nice software and the help you provide to the forum users here :)

Last edited:

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Since the threads about HC and WHHLight have quite a lot of pages now is there any chance to get a short sticky with the main differences and benefits (for semi noobs)?

I just wanted to play with @Andy Ful tools again and to be honest I'm not sure which way to go HC or WHHLight? After reading the WHHLight stuff on github as soon as "WDAC switch" starts it's above my understanding :D

There are so many technical differences, that most users will be lost after all explanations. :)
In practice, there are some similar setups:
  • H_C's Windows_10_Basic_Recommended_Settings ~ WHHLight with SWH
  • H_C's Windows_10_Recommended_Enhanced ~ WHHLight with SWH + WDAC (default Whitelist)
  • H_C's Windows_10_Strict_Recommended_Enhanced ~ WHHLight with SWH + WDAC (SUPER_SAFE or TWO_ACCOUNTS)
H_C is very configurable so one can tweak it in many ways. On the contrary, WHHLight is as simple as possible.(y)

Last edited:

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I can get HC under SUA work just fine. The only thing I don't like: I seem to have to whitelist the folder with my games (which are on another drive instead on the drive that hold the OS) or each separate game exe by hand. Like OS is on C: while all games are on D: Any better way to do that or would WHHLight be a better solution for that?

If your games are not on the system drive, you have to whitelist the game folder both in WHHLight and H_C. The setup with H_C will be slightly faster.

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
i know i'm missing it somewhere, but i cant find the explanation and description about this profile in the manual... can you help me ?

Use < Load Profile > button to load the profile settings: Windows_10_Recommended_Enhanced.
You will see the short description - do not press OK but choose Cancel to skip that profile.

It is the default profile + some blocked LOLBins:
powershell.exe, powershell_ise.exe, bitsadmin.exe, csc.exe, hh.exe, ieexec.exe, iexplore.exe, InstallUtil.exe, MsBuild.exe, mshta.exe, PresentationHost.exe, reg.exe, regini.exe, RegSvcs.exe, wmic.exe, bash.exe, RegAsm*, schtasks.exe, windbg.exe, forfiles.exe, ssc.exe, finger.exe.

Tiamati

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
Use < Load Profile > button to load the profile settings: Windows_10_Recommended_Enhanced.
You will see the short description - do not press OK but choose Cancel to skip that profile.

It is the default profile + some blocked LOLBins:
powershell.exe, powershell_ise.exe, bitsadmin.exe, csc.exe, hh.exe, ieexec.exe, iexplore.exe, InstallUtil.exe, MsBuild.exe, mshta.exe, PresentationHost.exe, reg.exe, regini.exe, RegSvcs.exe, wmic.exe, bash.exe, RegAsm*, schtasks.exe, windbg.exe, forfiles.exe, ssc.exe, finger.exe.
thank you! i'll try it.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.