Advice Request Disable Windows Firewall Notifications

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

ParaXY

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Mar 14, 2017
I'm in the process of trying a third party firewall. It is a stand alone product and doesn't need the Windows Defender Firewall service to be running so I have disabled it.

The problem is, even though I have turned off the "Network Firewall" security messages in "Security and maintenance" in Control Panel, I still have the red cross on the Defender shield in the system tray.

How can I get rid of the red cross on the Defender icon on the system tray with the built-in firewall disabled? I still use Defender for AV so removing the icon altogether isn't an option (I know you can use task manager to do this).

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Windows needs to recognize the 3rd party firewall, and that is not so simple. If I was you, I would contact the support of your firewall product.
But after all, it is just a cosmetic issue, because if Control Panel shows that your 3rd party firewall is active, then everything is fine. It's just a matter of getting rid of a stupid red X.

ParaXY

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Mar 14, 2017
@ParaXY Disable the Windows Defender notification icon from running at startup from task manager, it should fix your issue ;)

I know you can do this but I use Defender for AV so would like to keep the system tray icon with the green tick so I know things are up to date and working correctly.

Windows Update and store apps require Windows Defender Firewall service to be running.

I don't care about Store as I have it disabled and don't use it. Windows Updates could be a problem.

Which third party firewall are you using?

I'm using Windows 10 Firewall Control by Sphinx (network/cloud edition).

Reactions: Syafiq

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Windows 10 Firewall Control and the Built-in Firewall
Windows 10 Firewall Control is based on Windows Filtering Platform (WFP), the security core of Windows10/8/7/Vista/2008/2012, completely and does not install any third party kernel drivers. The Built-in Firewall is based on the same WFP as well. The both products work independently entirely. You can switch the Built-in Firewall ON or OFF at your option due to complete product independence.
F.A.Q. : Windows 10 Firewall Control: Sphinx Software

It seems that there is no problem even if the Windows firewall is valid

Reactions: Electr0n

Electr0n

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Feb 19, 2018
So according to the FAQ that @show-Zi provided, it seems that keeping the windows firewall turned on won't hurt anything. So if OP really wants to remove the red warning icon from windows defender, then keeping the windows firewall on would be a viable option.
Edit: I found a discussion thread in wilderssecurity regarding sphinx windows firewall control, @ParaXY you might want to check it out: Windows 10 Firewall Control (Sphinx-Soft) is upcoming - now released

Last edited:

blueblackwow65

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Dec 19, 2012
You can turn off the tray in settings ,under motifications or in tray.I don't have defender installed at all i took it out under a custom install

ParaXY

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Mar 14, 2017
I've updated my security config to include that I use a 3rd party firewall from Sphinx (I bought the Cloud/Network Edition). I've disabled the built-in Windows Firewall service, deleted all the rules I have and have uninstalled Binisofts WFC.

I know I may have issues with WIndows Updates next month but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. I removed the Defender icon from the system tray using task manager and removed the annoying notification telling me the Windows Firewall was disabled.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.