[Discussion thread] Security Config Wizard

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alkajak

Thread author
The argument of needing to have UAC enabled is the same as saying ESET is only effective if you have Firewall set to Interactive mode. UAC, like anti-theft, like banking protection, like a password manager, has an on and off switch. The user can choose which position to place that switch based on their own common sense and their own comfort with their configuration. This configuration is not at risk.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
The argument of needing to have UAC enabled is the same as saying ESET is only effective if you have Firewall set to Interactive mode. UAC, like anti-theft, like banking protection, like a password manager, has an on and off switch. The user can choose which position to place that switch based on their own common sense and their own comfort with their configuration. This configuration is not at risk.
You miss the point, i don't evaluate a setup based on the user habit/methodology/skills, i treat every members as if they were "true beginners" , including me. If you say to a beginner that disabling UAC is a good practice, so you are wrong and endangering him.

Now i know @Overkill long enough to know he has the skill & knowledge to live without UAC (and even with half the security softs he uses); but that doesn't mean his setup used by a beginner will provide the same security.

there is a difference between someone doing "controlled" risky thing and another one doing risky things without knowing it; In both case they still do risky things; but one will not have an accident.

A

Alkajak

Thread author
You miss the point, i don't evaluate a setup based on the user habit/methodology/skills, i treat every members as if they were "true beginners" , including me. If you say to a beginner that disabling UAC is a good practice, so you are wrong and endangering him.

Now i know @Overkill long enough to know he has the skill & knowledge to live without UAC (and even with half the security softs he uses); but that doesn't mean his setup used by a beginner will provide the same security.

there is a difference between someone doing "controlled" risky thing and another one doing risky things without knowing it; In both case they still do risky things; but one will not have an accident.

Then it would make a lot more sense to have a tag for [Expert User] so that people that specialize their configuration based on their common sense needs don't have a big red strikeout next to their configuration name, and that beginners don't do something foolish enough like just copy a configuration back and forth without any research.

This will be my last post regarding the matter, not going to bloat Overkill's thread with this.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Then it would make a lot more sense to have a tag for [Expert User] so that people that specialize their configuration based on their common sense needs don't have a big red strikeout

It was planned initially but we worried than some members would just copy a config to get the [Expert] badge. With time we may implement it but based on case by case and how we know the user's habits.

If made, Overkill will be the first one to get it; we know him long enough to know he is worthy of it.

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Thread author
Maybe MT forum should implement badges/specific titles/different forum section or something, for example only registered members could view threads in security configurations, so viewers don't just copy but have attention warning, like this config should not be copied and only OP know what hes doing/experienced at pc security. I know the feeling, when you are sure at what you are doing, but others bash you because they are not agreeing with you. There sure is more arguments for UAC then against.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: safe1st

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Maybe MT forum should implement badges/specific titles/different forum section or something, for example only registered members could view threads in security configurations, so viewers don't just copy but have attention warning, like this config should not be copied and only OP know what hes doing/experienced at pc security. I know the feeling, when you are sure at what you are doing, but others bash you because they are not agreeing with you. There sure is more arguments for UAC then against.
First of all, there's no bashing involve.
And I recommend reading this
[MUST READ] Guidelines to have a decent and safe security configuration
"The [At Risk] badge is not to punish you or mark you as ignorant or unskilled but show to the audience that potential weaknesses are present."

Now regarding your "only registered members could view threads in security configurations" suggestion, I'm going to disagree. It's important to note that just because a person is a registered member that doesn't make them an expert.

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Thread author
And posting your configuration wizard makes you an expert? :D its just sharing information how you protect your pc, and OP believes this is the right way, and advices are given to help strengthen security

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Hi guys,

This is the thread to discuss about the Security Config Wizard section; share ideas, suggestions and feedbacks.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Please be aware that the Visual Feedback is still in BETA, meaning we're still going through changes and decisions.

Regarding UAC, since Windows Vista all the way to Windows 10, it has been a featured security component of Windows, and they would not have implemented it, if it was not needed. Just as Windows Defender is now the default Antivirus for Windows 8 to Windows 10.

You may argue that the UAC can be bypassed, but so can Antivirus software and a lot of other security technologies. 1So does that mean you shouldn't use either.
-Car analogy- Petrol is flammable, it's a risk. Why use it? Because you need it. -end-

Please do not get offended if your Config thread was marked as At Risk, as I said previously it's still in testing and not the final product. :)

We welcome more feedback about SCW.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I like how you have this setup honestly. Reason for that is because it get's users whom have just started getting into computers and get's them something to aim for/ build and work on. Yes some of the old users may know what they are doing, but it gives the new users a chance to build a secure config.

It also give the new users the ability to look at let's say Jack's config and find that it's secure but then look at (as an example haha) Umbra's config and find that its not the best but likes what programs they are using but like the way Jack has his setup.

I just thought I'd share my thoughts. :)

Reactions: Deleted member 178
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.