Advice Request Display Brightness key stopped working (Solved)

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skinoku

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Dec 11, 2015
Hi everyone,
About a week ago, my laptop's brightness key stopped working.
It's not a hardware problem because if I try changing it from control panel I fail. Brightness icon disappeared into windows 10 home x64 1151 as well as control center.
I tried reinstalling both Intel and Nvidia drivers.
the machine is an Acer E5-571G-50NS upgraded to Windows 10 about a year ago.
Thanks in advance,
cheers!

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I have had a similar experience when I initially installed Windows 8.0, but after installing both Intel (on-board) and Nvidia (GPU), following a reboot, everything started working.

Brightness may stay at brightest settings when there's no Graphics driver installed.

Skinoku

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Dec 11, 2015
I tried that, but it doesn't work.
I did a clean install of both Intel and Nvidia drivers, one time from the CHIP MANUFACTURER site (Intel and Nvidia as I usually do), another from Acer website, both ended up into a perfect running machine without backlight control o_O

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
I tried that, but it doesn't work.
I did a clean install of both Intel and Nvidia drivers, one time from the CHIP MANUFACTURER site (Intel and Nvidia as I usually do), another from Acer website, both ended up into a perfect running machine without backlight control o_O
Does this happen on both on battery/plugged in?

PS:Have you tried this:
Cant change brightness in Windows 10

1) Search for Device Manager in Start Menu
2) Expand the Monitors section
3) Right click on Generic PnP Monitor and
4) Click on Enable and you are good

Last edited:

Skinoku

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Dec 11, 2015
thank you @venustus yes the problem appears both in battery and AC mode.
I tried checking in device manager but it was already correctly enabled. I also tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it without luck... :(
I checked the monitor PnP driver that looks like this:
Code:
FORNITORE: TeamViewer GmbH
DATA: 23/11/2010
VERSIONE: 1.1.0.0
FIRMA DIGITALE: TeamViewer GmbH

Reactions: Venustus

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Try to revert using system restore the day where issue isn't present.

My laptop happened before on Windows 10 but upon reboot also and enable the hardware from Device Manager should solve the case.

Skinoku

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Dec 11, 2015
Finally, after days of headache I finally got it working.
I'd like to share what I did in case of someone with the same problem.
In Device Manager I FULLY UNINSTALLED both the DEVICE and the DRIVER.
After refreshig the list the display adapter installed the windows generic driver and worked like a charm.
From TeamViewer now is showing Microsoft Generic Plug'nplay device.
Thanks anyone for helping me and I hope this tread will solve someone's headache.
Cheers!

Reactions: frogboy
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.