Advice Request Do I need NoScript if I have Adguard Pro ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zzz00m

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 10, 2017
A good alternative to noscript would be uMatrix.

For Firefox: uMatrix – Add-ons for Firefox

For Chrome: uMatrix

uMatrix: A point-and-click matrix-based firewall, with many privacy-enhancing tools.

*For advanced users.*

CHANGE LOG: Releases · gorhill/uMatrix · GitHub

uMatrix put you in full control of where your browser is allowed to connect, what type of data it is allowed to download, and what it is allowed to execute. Nobody else decides for you: You choose. You are in full control of your privacy.

Out of the box, uMatrix works in relax block-all/allow-exceptionally mode, meaning web sites which require 3rd-party scripts are likely to be "broken". With two clicks, uMatrix can be set to work in allow-all/block-exceptionally mode, which generally will not break web sites. See How to use HTTP Switchboard: Two opposing views · gorhill/httpswitchboard Wiki · GitHub for more details on this topic.

* See ALL the remote connections, failed or attempted, depending on whether they were blocked or allowed (you decide).

* A single-click to whitelist/blacklist one or multiple classes of requests according to the destination and type of data (a blocked request will NEVER leave your browser).

* Efficient blacklisting: cookies won't leave your browser, JavaScript won't execute, plugins won't play, tracking pixels won't download, etc.

* You do not have to solely rely on just one particular curated blacklist (arguably with many missing entries) outside which nothing else can be blocked: You are in full control.

* Ease of use: uMatrix lets you easily whitelist/blacklist net requests which originate from within a web page according to a point-and-click matrix:

- domain names (left column)
* from very specific
* to very generic

- type of requests (top row)
* cookies
* CSS-related resources (stylesheets and web fonts)
* images
* plugins
* scripts
* XHR (requests made by scripts)
* frames
* others

You can blacklist/whitelist a single cell, an entire row, a group of rows, an entire column, or the whole matrix with just one click.

uMatrix's filtering engine uses precedence logic to evaluate what is blocked/allowed according to which cells are blacklisted/whitelisted. For example, this allows you to whitelist a whole page with one click, without having to repeatedly whitelist whatever new data appear on the page.

All rules are scoped. For example, you can block `facebook.com` and `facebook.net` everywhere except when visiting a page on `www.facebook.com`. This way Facebook won't be able to build a profile of your browsing habits.

The goal of this extension is to make the allowing or blocking of web sites, wholly or partly, as straightforward as possible, so as to encourage users to care about their privacy.

The extension comes with 3rd-party hosts files totaling over 62,000 distinct hostnames (lists can be selectively disabled/enabled according to your choice).

Ultimately, you can choose however you browse the net:

* Blacklist all by default, and whitelist as needed (default mode).

* Whitelist all by default, and blacklist as needed.

Either way, you still benefit from the preset blacklists so that at least you get basic protection from trackers, malware sites, etc. Or you can disable all of these preset blacklists.

Your choice.

Randomly assembled documentation: Home · gorhill/uMatrix Wiki · GitHub

=====

This extension is also useful to understand what the web page in your browser is doing, often without your knowledge. You have full ability to see and decide with whom a web page communicates, and to restrict these communications to specific classes of objects within the web page.

The number which appear in the extension icon correspond to the total number of distinct requests attempted (successfully or not depending on whether these were allowed or blocked) by the web page.

Simply click on the appropriate entry in the matrix in order to white-, black- or graylist a component. Graylisting means the blocked or allowed status will be inherited from another cell with higher precedence in the matrix.

Red square = effectively blacklisted, i.e. requests are prevented from reaching their intended destination:
* Dark red square: the domain name and/or type of request is specifically blacklisted.
* Faded red square: the blacklist status is inherited because the entry is graylisted.

Green square = effectively whitelisted, i.e. requests are allowed to reach their intended destination:
* Dark green square: the domain name and/or type of request is specifically whitelisted.
* Faded green square: the whitelist status is inherited because the entry is graylisted.

The top-left cell in the matrix, the "all" cell, represents the default global setting, which allows you to choose whether allowing or blocking everything is the default behavior. Some prefer to allow everything while blocking exceptionally. My personal preference is of course the reverse, blocking everything and allowing exceptionally.

This extension is also useful if you wish to speed up your browsing, by globally blocking all requests for images as an example.

=====

BUGS, ISSUES: Issues · gorhill/uMatrix · GitHub

SOURCE CODE: GitHub - gorhill/uMatrix: uMatrix: Point and click matrix to filter net requests according to source, destination and type (GPLv3)

Upvote 0

shukla44

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016
Totally agree with @bribon77 . I have adguard desktop & noscript both installed.
Been using NS for years now. Superb combination with adguard as most ads are displayed by third-party scripts & noscripts blocks all scripts by default so minimal ads by default. Makes adguard's job much easier. ;)(y)

EDIT: Switched to Firefox Quantum, noscript NOT supported yet, gets to see the full power of adguard desktop.

Upvote 0

lowdetection

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
hackademix.net » Double NoScript

Later today In a couple of days, if everything goes fine, and definitely by the end of this week, NoScript 10, the first "pure" WebExtension NoScript version, will be finally released for Firefox 57 and above, after years of work and months NoScript 5.x living as a hybrid one to allow for smooth user data migration.

NoScript 10 is very different from 5.x: some things are simpler, some things are improved, some are still missing and need to wait for WebExtensions APIs not available yet in Firefox 57. Anyway, whenever you decide to migrate, your old settings are kept safe, ready to be used as soon as the feature they apply to gets deployed.

If you're not bothered by change, you're ready to report bugs* and you're not super-paranoid about the whole lot of "NoScript Security Suite" most arcane features, NoScript 10 is worth the migration: active content blocking (now more configurable than ever) and XSS protection (now with a huge performance boost) are already there. And yes, Firefox 57 is truly the most awesome browser around.

If, otherwise, you really need the full-rounded, solid, old NoScript experience you're used to, and you can't bear anything different, even if just for a few weeks, dont' worry: NoScript 5.x is going to be maintained and to receive security updates until June 2018 at least, when the Tor Browser will switch to be based on Firefox 59 ESR and the "new" NoScript will be as powerful as the old one. Of course, in order to keep using NoScript 5.x outside the Tor Browser (which has it built-in), you have to stay on Firefox 52 ESR, Seamonkey, Palemoon or another pre-Quantum browser.
Or you can even install an "unbranded" build of Firefox 57 Quantum, which allows you to keep NoScript 5 running with the extensions.legacy.enabled trick. Just please don't block your updates on Firefox 56, it would be bad for your security.

So, for another half-year you there will be two NoScripts: just sort your priorities and choose yours.

Update 2017-11-15
As you probably noticed, yesterday's today has gone away in most time zones and we're not ready yet (Murphy law and all) :(
But we're definitely on track for the end of this week, and in the meanwhile your awesome patience deserves a couple of preview screenshots...
[URL='https://hackademix.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/noscript10-menu.png']

[/URL]

Upvote 0

lowdetection

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Give the dev some breath "means many people like this extension/"webextension" :)", I use portable Developer Edition of Firefox , still with 5.1.5 :p

I will update to 10 when out, except on Tor, as he said...
----------------------------------------------------------------

I currently use both, but NoScript save me many times and help me in so much situations, hard to enumerate. With ads, and malware, many times.

Upvote 0

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
shukla44 wrote: "EDIT: Switched to Firefox Quantum, noscript NOT supported yet, gets to see the full power of adguard desktop."

Try Policeman and QuickJS maybe, like me

lowdetection - I use too Firefox 52.5.0 ESR, very good, with Policeman and QuickJS

Upvote 0

zzz00m

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 10, 2017
Personally, I would recommend ublock Origin (in advance mode) instead. It is much more user-friendly than uMatrix

I will add that I use both uMatrix and uBlock Origin together, and do my best to avoid overlap. But that takes some fiddling to set up. In the end I have what I need, and that works for me. YMMV! ;)

I do my script and content control within the matrix, and malware blocking with host files in the uMatrix dashboard. The 6 hosts files in uMatrix are duplicated in the uBlock Origin filter list, so I de-select the redundant filters in uBlock Origin. No point in having overlap.

The result is uMatrix becomes my replacement for NoScript, while uBlock Origin becomes essentially my ad and tracking site blocker. Nice team! :D

Upvote 0

shukla44

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016
shukla44 wrote: "EDIT: Switched to Firefox Quantum, noscript NOT supported yet, gets to see the full power of adguard desktop."
Try Policeman and QuickJS maybe, like me
Sorry but i am sticking to Quantum. Already found replacements for most of my addons. Just need NS10.
Thanks anyway.
Regards.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.