Do I really need an antivirus ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 21043

If you're an advanced user, the need for an antivirus is low.

If you're a newbie, the need for an antivirus is high.
@Malware1 uses a AV and he's very knowledgable. In fact, I think he is the brains, especially when it comes to Malware Packs on this site ;)
I think @Cowpipe uses a AV, I can't be for sure as he is probably the one making all the backdoors on his PC (for education use of course) but he is a very knowledgable guy like @Malware1 .

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
As you already have fair AV protection with MB, what amounts to two Virtual Environments, as well as an anti-exe I feel you are already way, way over the top with protection. Stop obsessing.

dbz

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 29, 2014
As you already have fair AV protection with MB, what amounts to two Virtual Environments, as well as an anti-exe I feel you are already way, way over the top with protection. Stop obsessing.

MalwareBytes is just a AntiMalware i think...It doesn't give protection from virus. The reason why i asked this question was because my laptop is always connected to internet, and i make many online payments, i want to know whether this config. should be enough to protect my online privacy.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reactions: Cowpipe

Dani Santos

From Xvirus
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jun 3, 2014
It depends on many things. For example i dont use and never got infected, but I have sandboxie and lots of anti-malware and second opinion scanners, but i for example dont use credit card and use a password manager. But i recomend for most users 1 antivirus and 2 antimalware/second opinion scanners.

Reactions: dbz

Petrovic

Level 64
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
Use The best antivirus

really do not need antivirus:D

Reactions: Cowpipe

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
DBZ- the terms anti-virus and anti-malware are used pretty much synonymously. Anti-virus is a relic of yesteryear before the advent of other types of bad things. Anti-malware is the more current (and correct) term and will protect against a virus, keylogger, trojan, bot, etc.

Regarding keeping your Credit Card secure, the chances are greater that whatever financial or retail institution will suffer a breach and expose your data than any local event on your computer. As an example, about 5 years ago I purchased shoes from an establishment that was breached shortly thereafter (I never used this particular card online). About 6 months after the purchase, I surprised to find that I was being charged for a first class ticket from Beijing to Toronto.

NullPointerException

Level 12
Verified
Aug 25, 2014
Not to mention, when a company fails, not even your common sense can help you. "Common sense" is not omnipotent. We're but mere mortals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.