Do Ubuntu & Windows dual boot need antivirus?

breathejustice

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 18, 2014
My computer has two OS: MS-Windows and Ubuntu.
Also, my computer has an external hard drive that contains windows' exe files.
Windows has Norton Security.
Usually I use Ubuntu.

Do I need antivirus for Ubuntu?
I wonder that some of malware or antivirus may be copied to external hard drive and windows partition when I use ubuntu without my knowing.

Reactions: ZeroDay

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
In most cases you probably DO NOT need an AV for Linux but I would still recommended it. I fight it better safe than sorry. :)

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
You do not need antivirus for Ubuntu.
Thanks ZD, I was looking at it from the perspective that he was asking if he needed a AV for the dualboot process, see the title :p lol
ZeroDay is right, its not needed the way Ubuntu latest versions are configured. If your running other Linux flavors
though I would maybe consider Sophos for Linux.

D

Deleted member 178

Yes and No.

Yes: because even if Linux is way safer than Windows, it doesn't mean Linux can't be hit by cross-platform malware (those exist) especially if you are using multi-platform frameworks like Adobe Flash and Reader, Java, JavaScript, Perl, Python,etc...
No: because if you don't use those frameworks, have safe habits, the chances of getting infected are very low.

All depends of what is your level of paranoia and what you host on the Ubuntu partition.

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Ubuntu (and Linux in general) is structured differently from Windows.
And its structure allows you to have a certain guarantee that your computer will not be infected.
In fact, one of the strong points of Linux is the rigid system of permits, because without the root password, no program can edit files of the same system.
For example, when you install a program on Windows, you start the setup, and it changes the system files, but it can be run automatically and without your knowledge, while on Linux it needs your consent (with your password) before it can edit the system files.
In addition, no such file/program can be run if you do not have execute permissions, and no files downloaded from internet/copied from external media has them by default. Even if a malware manages to get on the computer, it could not be executed or be executed by other programs.
And also if it is running because you give it the permission, would not be able to edit files outside of your home, then it would hurt only the files inside.

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
If you keep your programs and OS updated and don't blatantly click on untrusted programs or install from untrusted repositories. Then no in both OS. Especially if you have backups. Chances of infections are not evenly distributed. You only have to ask, who are you?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.