Do you think your obligated to receive software updates for a program you pay for?

H

hjlbx

Of course... but I don't like the licensing model where I have to pay for on-going updates.

If it's a lifetime license, then you shouldn't have to pay for future updates.

More and more vendors are adopting annual subscription or version license model (that requires update fees).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: DardiM

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Basically you're paying to keep the development of the software up and running, so yes it would be nice to see an update or to once in a while to know that there is progress on making the software better for everyone.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Keeping your OS and other software up to date at all times is esential. If they don't give you free upgrades IF you payed for it. (Giveaways I believe shouldn't count) Then you should be allowed to update for your own security.

NOTE: Even so if you read EULA you DON'T own the software you bought. In order to use you have to still agree by their terms. :)

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
I think that to be able to receive free updates is normal for a program that I pay , as long as the license is active (for updates that correct bugs, exploits, add new options, etc...)

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Why not? Very minimal to have pretty bad update and of course you need to put on trust and have a backup Plan B when something not works well.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.