Does Ad Block Plus/Edge work in firefox in private mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holysmoke

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jul 31, 2014
I have been searching the net and it appears that chrome requires tweaking for ABP/E to work in incognito mode. Does ff block trackers in private mode?

Last edited:

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
You can use it in private mode no tweak needed in Firefox but you have to select a box for incognito mode in Chrome. If I remember correct.
Yep, you are correct. Chrome needs to check to allow extensions into Incognito Mode, but Adblock Plus works without any tweaking. However, Firefox will not allow anything into private mode without its review, I think ;)

Reactions: Holysmoke

Holysmoke

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jul 31, 2014
Yep, you are correct. Chrome needs to check to allow extensions into Incognito Mode, but Adblock Plus works without any tweaking. However, Firefox will not allow anything into private mode without its review, I think ;)

thats what I'm worried about, does ABP work in ff private mode?

Holysmoke

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jul 31, 2014
exactly, thats the extension that made me worry about ABP. how did you get self destructing cookies to work in private mode in ff?

I have had no luck.

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
exactly, thats the extension that made me worry about ABP. how did you get self destructing cookies to work in private mode in ff?

I have had no luck.
It only partially works so I don't recommend you try it. Cookies don't self-destruct yet the statistics show it does. It's not really useful.

Holysmoke

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jul 31, 2014
I wonder if BetterPrivacy works in private mode. I bet not. I think its time to go back to non private

Holysmoke

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jul 31, 2014
thanks for that info. didnt know.

super cookies do get dropped into flash etc. so betterprivacy is helpful to delete them. private mode doesnt stop those cookies

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
I wonder if BetterPrivacy works in private mode. I bet not. I think its time to go back to non private
No use, as @Mateotis said above, Firefox won't allow cookies in private mode. Same with Chrome. I bet that's why these addons aren't supported.

BetterPrivacy probably doesn't work either, so you can't get rid of those supergiant cookies :p

Holysmoke

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jul 31, 2014
in private mode, better privacy is showing me the super cookies on the pc. when I shutdown ff and restart, betterprivacy shows me they were deleted.

so the super cookies can be dropped to PC in private mode. I have verified that on my PC just now

these LSO cookies go into AppData\Roaming\Macromedia

Mateotis

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2014
thanks for that info. didnt know.

super cookies do get dropped into flash etc. so betterprivacy is helpful to delete them. private mode doesnt stop those cookies

You don't neccessarily need an extension for that, there are several privacy protecting programs available. Personally, I find the CCleaner + CCEnhancer combo very useful and effective. CCE adds support for many popular programs into CCleaner, Flash included.

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
in private mode, better privacy is showing me the super cookies on the pc. when I shutdown ff and restart, betterprivacy shows me they were deleted.

so the super cookies can be dropped to PC in private mode. I have verified that on my PC just now
I *think* that the super cookies are placed in a different location and by flash. If you uninstall Flash you probably don't have to worry about them. I'm just guessing.

Holysmoke

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jul 31, 2014
I edited above post and you are correct, they go into AppData\Roaming\Macromedia and without ccleaner or an extension, most dont even know they exist forever until removed.

I like betterprivacy because you can make it auto delete the super cookies every few minutes or whatever interval you like.

Reactions: Chromatinfish 123
D

Deleted member 21043

Ad-block plus should work fine in Firefox in Private Browsing. If it doesn't work for you, let me know and I can download it later and try to get it to work in Private Browsing.

In Google Chrome, if you would like to use extensions, there is a option in the Extensions settings where you can check to allow certain extensions to be active during Incognito mode. I think it's under the settings icon > Tools > Extensions. Something like that. I am no longer a Google Chrome user.

Thanks! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.