does bitdefender roll back malware activity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
does bitdefender have this capability, similar to kaspersky and webroot, which undo changes when they detect that malware has been active?

Reactions: Butterfly
H

hjlbx

does bitdefender have this capability, similar to kaspersky and webroot, which undo changes when they detect that malware has been active?

No. It just has removal routines like most other AVs.

Webroot journalling & rollback, Kaspersky System Watcher are no great mysteries; they are just fancy uninstallers.

Reactions: XhenEd

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
so there is no major difference between BD removal and Kaspersky system watcher?

motox781

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
I believe Webroot is stronger with rollback than Kaspersky. I've yet to see much explanation on Kaspersky's rollback feature (and whether it works or not), but there is extensive info on Webroot's rollback and testing.

I don't think BD has any rollback feature integrated.

Last edited:

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
so there is no major difference between BD removal and Kaspersky system watcher?

There is, Kaspersky System Watcher is pretty advanced and feature rich, it isnt just a removal or fancy uninstaller.

Upon detecting an infection, System Watcher initiates a roll-back (i.e. a return of the computer system to its previous, safe parameters). The roll-back system works with created and modified executable files, MBR modifications, important Windows files and registry keys. In the latest versions of Kaspersky Lab’s security products, the roll-back mechanisms can be updated.

Rollback against Cryptomalware and Screen Lockers

Cryptomalware countermeasures subsystem The increasing spread of cryptomalware, which encrypts user data and demands a ransom for the decryption key, led to an urgent need for countermeasures, and the corresponding technology was implemented in the System Watcher. It negates the consequences of cryptoattacks by making local protected backup copies of user data files as soon as they are Kaspersky Lab Preventing emerging threats with Kaspersky System Watcher 4 October 2014 opened by suspicious program. Therefore, there is no need to decrypt any affected data — it will be replaced from the backup copies.

Protection against Screen Lockers Screen lockers are another type of ransomware, programs that try to block user access to computer functions with a supposedly immobile banner demanding a ransom. System Watcher has a built-in protection against this type of malware. In System Watcher’s settings menu there is a corresponding entry that turns this function on and sets a key combination that will close the screen locker manually. Pressing this combination will get rid of the annoying banner and delete the malware that caused its appearance. This protection against screen lockers is enabled by default

More info here:

http://www.kaspersky.com/images/Kaspersky_Lab_Whitepaper_System_Watcher_ENG.pdf

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I believe Webroot is stronger with rollback than Kaspersky. I've yet to see much explanation on Kaspersky's rollback feature (and whether it works or not), but there is extensive info on Webroot's rollback and testing.

I don't think BD has any rollback feature integrated.
Kaspersky's rollback feature works. I have seen it in action on my PC and it did a good job.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I think the rollback feature like Bitdefender does not really exposed nor implemented fully unlike to Kaspersky and Webroot.

So one of the reason where removal features of majority AV's are pure classic and ineffective on other parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.