Advice Request Does factory resetting iPad give it a new MAC Address?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Cool12445

Thread author
Mar 4, 2024
I factory reset my iPad and Kaspersky is saying there are two iPad devices that have been connected to my network when I only have one. Would factory resetting change the MAC address? I can’t remember if only one of the iPads is actually connected to the network.

Balrog

Level 6
Verified
May 5, 2015
The MAC address is tied to the network adapter, each manufacturer has a range of addresses. So returning a device to "factory state" does not change the MAC address.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
By default Apple mobile devices use private MAC addresses to obscure the hardware mac address and avoid tracking. iPhones do this as well. They use randomized private mac addresses to connect to new networks. When you factory reset it the iPad probably chose a new randomized private MAC.

Last edited:

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Look at the WiFi network information on your iPad for your network. And see if this option is turned on:
IMG_2856.jpeg

If it is there will be a MAC address under it. These are generated private addresses, they do change when you first connect to a new network. I turn this off at home, it causes confusing issues whenever you change network setting or upgrade firmware.

IMG_2857.jpeg

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.