Don't panic. Google offering scary .zip and .mov domains is not the end of the world

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
In early May, Google Domains added support for eight new top-level domains, two of which – .zip, and .mov – raised the hackles of the security community.

The reason, of course is, that .zip and .mov are both file extensions. So there's concern that a miscreant could employ these TLDs to confuse people by visiting a malicious website rather than opening a file, among other threat scenarios.

This is bad enough, but the article quotes a Microsoft software engineer who claims to not see any problems having new Google issued TLD's with industry standard file extensions as domain id's.

Oh dear...

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Phishing attacks already using the .zip TLD
On May 3rd, Google Registry launched eight new top-level domains (TLDs) “for dads, grads and techies”, including a .zip TLD. While these new TLDs come with benefits such as automatic inclusion on the HSTS preload list, the launch of new TLDs has always presented cyber criminals with the opportunity to register domains in bad faith.

Parts of the security community, such as the SANS ISC, have already identified the potential for fraud via the potential conflation of a universally known file extension (.zip) with a TLD. TLDs overlapping with file extensions is not a new problem: .com is also an executable format, .pl represents both Poland and Perl scripts, and .sh represents Saint Helena and Unix shell scripts.

Earlier this week, we investigated existing registrations using the .zip TLD and confirmed that there is already evidence of fraudulent activity.
At the time of writing, there are fewer than 5,000 registered domains using .zip. 2,253 of these have an A record, pointing to 838 distinct IP addresses. We have discovered phishing attacks on five of these domains so far, none of which are still live at the time of writing.

DomainTargeted brand
report2023[.]zipMicrosoft
microsoft-office[.]zipMicrosoft
microsoft-office365[.]zipMicrosoft
e-mails[.]zipGoogle
login.payment-statement[.]zipOkta
There are many domains registered which are likely to be bad faith registrations, although these are not currently displaying malicious content. These include:
  • domains containing known brand names, such as several dozen domains that contain the word ‘Microsoft’, including microsoft[.]zip, microsoft-windows-update[.]zip, microsoftteams[.]zip, microsoftedgesetup[.]zip, microsoftinstaller[.]zip.
  • 200 domains that mention ‘installer’ or ‘update’, including chromeupdatex64[.]zip, browser-update[.]zip, firefoxinstaller[.]zip, driver-update[.]zip, updatediscord[.]zip, urgent-update[.]zip, zoom-installer[.]zip, winrar-installer[.]zip.
  • various domains that mention banks by name, such as bankofamericasecurities[.]zip.
  • several that could plausibly be used in emails where a victim expects to download a file, but is linked to the domain instead (pay-statements[.]zip, paystub[.]zip, photos[.]zip, attachment[.]zip).
  • eicar[.]zip has been registered but currently has no A records. The EICAR test file is a benign file typically used to test anti-virus software.
  • fewer than 50 domains on .zip contained or redirected to a .zip file. Of these, at least two were zip bombs, which are often deployed to disable antivirus software.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
That's really on the organizations who own those software/services. They are big enough, smart enough and rich enough to buy those domains before bad actors buy them. Surely, they know or have pre-warning when a new TLD would launch and I'm sure they could organize or pre buy domains for their portfolio. It's dumb all-round, the TLD's should not be issuing them because they are malicious and the companies who own the software/services should for see it and pre/buy register them anyway.

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
I included those in my Grayware Filterlist because I think they're more likely to be abused than not. I hope Gorhill adds those to uBO Lite, which unfortunately doesn't work with user-added lists. I find it hard to imagine many legitimate uses for such confusing TLDs.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Is there any reason for most of the new TLD's in the last 10 years to exist? No there isn't. Just money. Not a big deal, you just block them through Dns.

Clickbait! Hackers love anything they can use in attacks. One of the most abused TLD's is .cricket. I don't see YouTube videos about that.

• Hundred Points
Reactions: TairikuOkami

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Clickbait! Hackers love anything they can use in attacks. One of the most abused TLD's is .cricket. I don't see YouTube videos about that.
Clickbait works that's why YTbers do it. But in this case imo the threat is real as ".cricket" is not a file extension unlike ".zip" and ".mov". For example: "microsoft [dot] com/en-us/@attachement.zip" will deceive a lot more users than "microsoft [dot] com/en-us/@attachement.cricket" will.

Edit: He made a follow up video

Last edited:

billink

Level 1
Feb 8, 2023
Clickbait works that's why YTbers do it. But in this case imo the threat is real as ".cricket" is not a file extension unlike ".zip" and ".mov". For example: "microsoft [dot] com/en-us/@attachement.zip" will deceive a lot more users than "microsoft [dot] com/en-us/@attachement.cricket" will.

Exactly! Wouldn't say people need to start panicking, but the threat is real.

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Alphabet is winding down its Google Domains business and selling its assets to Squarespace, according to a statement Thursday. From a report: Squarespace is acquiring the assets associated with the business for about $180 million, according to a person familiar with the matter, who asked to not be identified because the financial details of the transaction aren't public. The assets include "10 million domains hosted on Google Domains spread across millions of customers," according to the statement, confirming a Bloomberg News report. "We are exceptionally proud to be chosen to serve the customers of the Google Domains business," Anthony Casalena, founder and chief executive officer of Squarespace, said in the statement. "Domains are a critical part of web infrastructure and an essential piece of every business's online presence." The End

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
While there are centralised registration points, once minted, Web3 domains are your's forever, no annual 'rental' charges, never able to be duplicated, use it on any Blockchain.

Sorta wipes out Squarespace's domain name business' value. I think Google can see the writing on the wall and are cashing-out...

just sayin'...

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
There has been quite a discussion regarding Google’s recent introduction of .zip, .mov, .phd (and other variations) as top-level domains (TLDs). The opinions in the cybersecurity community can be distilled into two camps. A fair number of experts assume that this move from Google will likely cause even more confusion for non-tech savvy users navigating the internet. The second camp thinks otherwise. That it basically is a difficult realm to navigate in already and that users rarely pay attention to the URL and its components. When digging into this topic and our data, we identified that cybercriminals have already started abusing .zip domains to mislead users into thinking they are downloadable files, instead of URLs. Our research shows that out of the top 30 .zip domains blocked by our threat detection engines, one third abuses names of leading tech companies such as Microsoft, Google, Amazon and Paypal, to trick people into thinking that they are files of trusted companies.

In the early days of the internet, TLDs were introduced to streamline the process of browsing and sorting through online content. The main reason for using domain names and TLDs was to make navigation around the web more user friendly. Also, at the time geographical location was also important. The well.sf.ca.us, originally pointed out by Ars Technica, is a great example of using the TLD to denote its geographical location, in this case San Francisco, California, in the United States of America. It also helps us distinguish the basic nature of the server we are visiting. .com, associated with the commercial nature of a website, and .org, associated with nonprofits, are probably the most common TLDs used to denote the characteristics of a domain. According to Statista, .org and .com account for 50% of all TLDs worldwide.

The purpose of TLDs has become much more blurred recently (past several years). They can also serve as part of branding efforts now, such as the .lidl or .edeka TLD or other exotic TLDs that come to my mind. For example, .beer, .motorcycles, .plumbing, .soccer, .taxi, and so on. There’s little that isn’t achievable. When the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), the non-profit which oversees and manages unique Internet identifiers, like IP addresses and domains, last expanded the scope of TLDs, they set the evaluation fee at $185,000, limiting applicants to only established entities, whether public or private. It’s undeniably a high-priced venture.

So, what issues could arise with a .zip TLD? Personally, I see a significant concern in the potential for file confusion and the consequent difficulty distinguishing between local and remote sources, which could pose a security threat. For educational purposes I crafted a prototype email that leverages the fact that the attachment and the link can point to completely different locations.
image-3.png
Email that the attacker might have crafted for use
It appears that using a .zip domain to deceive users can be remarkably easy. Moreover, the link preview can be manipulated to hide the protocol used, such as HTTP(S). This definitely helps the attacker to lure the user where they want.

It seems that we have reached a point where the original purpose of making URLs understandable to the public is gradually deteriorating over time. Which address seems more suspicious to you: https://52.144.44[.]169 or latestupdate[.]zip (which resolves to that IP)? I have my doubts as well. I do not imply that most of the .zip domains are or will be inherently malicious. However, I foresee a certain number of domains that, if not registered by entities closely related to their respective products, are very unlikely to be used for legitimate purposes. Looking at the top blocked domains by Avast with a .zip TLD we see that there are many mimicking legitimate companies. Also, there is a second group that tries to imitate files.
Rplot60.svg

The most interesting domains are those that are closely related to large service providers, which are well known to the public. These include microsoft-office[.]zip, microsoft[.]zip, csgo[.]zip, google-drive[.]zip, microsoftonedrive[.]zip, googlechrome[.]zip, and amazons3[.]zip. Other perfect examples that I would describe as well designed are those with a pdf keyword combined with a subdomain. Namely 226x227.pdf[.]zip, 2023-05.pdf[.].zip, cv3.pdf[.]zip, temp1_rsbu_12m2021.pdf[.]zip. Checking on who.is yields expected results.
image-2.png
Whois record for attachment.zip
Most of the time, when a registrant’s information is redacted from the WHOIS database..........................................
Read More below:

Last edited by a moderator:

cartaphilus

Level 5
Mar 17, 2023
My time has finally come! I am now finally registering my own personal domain! MyPantsUn.zip. it will be a site focused on categorizing kindergartens and daycare centers!!!!
I highly regret of not getting into the . Com era movement in the early 2000s! But now I got a second chance on life! Now I can get into The Great Zip collapse!

Last edited:
  • HaHa
Reactions: vtqhtr413

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.