Don't use TOR right now if you are working from home

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
With more people staying at home and working remotely to avoid the COVID-19 outbreak, online security has become an even higher priority. Using a web browser that respects user privacy and keeps your data safe is a telecommuting necessity, but you should probably avoid using the Tor web browser for now, even though it’s one of the best ways to anonymize your web activity.

According to the Tor development team, a bug is accidentally allowing Javascript to run on webpages even when users have specifically disabled it or have the browser’s strictest settings turned on (via ZDNet). Disabling and blocking Javascript is one of Tor’s key features, but the malfunction undermines its safety and makes the browser potentially dangerous for users who rely on its anonymity since companies, government entities, and even hackers can use Javascript to find IP addresses.

A patch is currently being developed, but there’s no concrete timeline for release. In the meantime, there is a potential “nuclear option” that will forcibly stop all Javascript functionality in Tor. This will render some websites unusable, and it’s possible the Javascript bug will still occur even after attempting the fix, but it’s worth considering:

• Open Tor, then type about:config into the URL bar and press Enter.
  • Press CTRL+F and search for javascript.enabled
  • Double-click the “javascript.enabled” row to change the “Value” column to “False.” Unfortunately, if it was already set to “False” and/or Javascript still runs after making the change, this won’t fix the issue.
Tor users should also consider using an alternate browser while waiting for the patch.

Few can match Tor’s level of anonymity, but Brave is an excellent choice for privacy, and Firefox is a close second (both Tor and Brave are built on Firefox). Even Vivaldi, Edge, and Opera have their benefits—just avoid Chrome if you’re trying to block ads, data trackers, and keep your identity obfuscated.

redsworn

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 6, 2017
Even then, Tor browser can't protect you against allowed JavaScript sites ;)

Also Tor browser can't protect against fingerprinting 100%. Only some data are faked or even blocked which get mostly unique too.
Protecting users against fingerprinting is never the main objective of Tor browser. The browser is meant to be run as is so all of its users have identical user agent thus render fingerprinting attempts arguably useless.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Protecting users against fingerprinting is never the main objective of Tor browser.
To be fair: it is.
Tor task is protect the privacy and anonymity. As it's a web browser, anti fingerprinting is part of the package.

The browser is meant to be run as is so all of its users have identical user agent thus render fingerprinting attempts arguably useless.
The useragent - more important: settings at all need to be protected against changes, or the user get unique IDs and can be identified behind Tor.
The Tor browser don't do that for the user, which is a easy task.

Also user forget mostly that open sites in Tor browser and in normal browser circumvent Tor and even can be used to track user's over different systems and devices!

Sampei Nihira

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Dec 26, 2019
In my Country, almost all businesses are now closed by Prime Minister's decree.:cry:
My daughter who works in a commercial studio, does her remote work at home.
He couldn't do his job with Tor.

Use Chrome, with the privacy and security settings made by me.
And it certainly does not expose the security/privacy of its customers to risk.

P.S. My wife and I, on the other hand, are more unfortunate.
We cannot do our job remotely.
We have been locked in the house for 3 days and it seems like an eternity.
If we have to leave the house, we can do it only with a self-certification.
I show you:

:(:(:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Meantime in the below article

The Tor team confirmed that Noscript 11.0.17 should solve this issue and that the issue is automatically updated by default.

Unquote

Although TOR has yet to release the actual fix

redsworn

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 6, 2017
To be fair: it is.
Tor task is protect the privacy and anonymity. As it's a web browser, anti fingerprinting is part of the package.

The useragent - more important: settings at all need to be protected against changes, or the user get unique IDs and can be identified behind Tor.
The Tor browser don't do that for the user, which is a easy task.

Also user forget mostly that open sites in Tor browser and in normal browser circumvent Tor and even can be used to track user's over different systems and devices!
That's why Tor browser is not for everyone nor should be used casually. It caters towards a specific userbase who try to protect their anonymity. Everything about how it works and how you're suppose to use the browser is very well documented. If you use it outside the guidelines then you'll risk yourself of exposing your identity. It's just how it's being designed. Is it perfect? Probably not. Then again, nothing is.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
I've just re-read the linked LifeHacker page and somehow missed this mistake the first time -

Few can match Tor’s level of anonymity, but Brave is an excellent choice for privacy, and Firefox is a close second (both Tor and Brave are built on Firefox)

I always believed that Brave was based on Chromium!

I went back to read the LifeHacker post because I'd seen a post about Tor Browser v9.5a8 Released (March 12, 2020) -

the LifeHacker page was published
Brendan Hesse
Friday 5:00PM

The Tor update is only in alpha, not everyone will use it, but LifeHacker doesn't make it clear that there is an alpha release to deal with the Javascript issue.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Yes, I've just installed it and checked Noscript

Attachments

• Tor & NoScript 11.0.17.png
    Tor & NoScript 11.0.17.png
    35.2 KB · Views: 245

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.